Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit accessories not responding

I had HomeKit set up at home and everything working fine. Then I went on a trip which I’m still on. After a day or so I saw that all my accessories showed “Not responding”. Automations also don’t seem to work. It’s been that way since. My Apple TV was set up as a hub, and it’s still at home. I’ve had people restart my modem, Airport router and Apple TV. I know the Apple TV is connected to the router. I can also do screen sharing with my Mac back home. I’ve shared HomeKit with someone. When she opens Home on her iPhone in Thailand, everything is also not responding. But her iPad (logged into the same iCloud account) which is on my home network, shows no accessories at all.

I wonder if it can be related to my iPad, which I have with me on the trip. A while before I left, I set it up to be a hub as well as the Apple TV. I read that you could have more than one device set up as a hub, and the other ones would be backups. I figured that the Apple TV would be the main hub. If for some reason the iPad was acting as hub when I left, the Apple TV should take over right?

In my home application the Apple TV is shown as the hub and on standby. Before it had the status connected.

(I cannot find a HomeKit community here so I picked something kind of related)

Posted on May 24, 2018 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2018 8:17 AM

Hello Knut Harald Støre,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are having issues with your Apple TV, iPad and your HomeKit setup, even after trying some good steps to resolve this issue. To help with your situation, please make sure to follow the steps below, and then contact Apple for further help with your situation.

If you have issues creating automations or controlling your HomeKit accessories when you're not home, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad is:
  2. Make sure that you can control your accessories in the Home app on your iOS device. Open the Home app and turn on a light or change the temperature.
  3. Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
    • For HomePod, open the Home app on your iOS device, tap User uploaded file, then check under Home Hubs to see if HomePod is connected.
    • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as Connected. If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn't connected as a home hub.
    • On your iPad, go to Settings > Home and make sure that Use this iPad as a Home Hub is turned on.
  4. Restart your Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone.
  5. Wait a few minutes. If you still need help, sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud.

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories
Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2018 8:17 AM in response to Knut Harald Støre

Hello Knut Harald Støre,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are having issues with your Apple TV, iPad and your HomeKit setup, even after trying some good steps to resolve this issue. To help with your situation, please make sure to follow the steps below, and then contact Apple for further help with your situation.

If you have issues creating automations or controlling your HomeKit accessories when you're not home, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad is:
  2. Make sure that you can control your accessories in the Home app on your iOS device. Open the Home app and turn on a light or change the temperature.
  3. Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
    • For HomePod, open the Home app on your iOS device, tap User uploaded file, then check under Home Hubs to see if HomePod is connected.
    • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as Connected. If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn't connected as a home hub.
    • On your iPad, go to Settings > Home and make sure that Use this iPad as a Home Hub is turned on.
  4. Restart your Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone.
  5. Wait a few minutes. If you still need help, sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud.

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories
Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Aug 7, 2018 6:31 PM in response to scorpio1110

I reset every device, left home and now nothing is responding and automations do not work. Very frustrated and really makes me want to ditch the trillion dollar company altogether. Spent an hour on hold with support being transferred from department to department before I gave up.

I plan to uninstall every device and start from scratch as a last ditch effort. If that doesn’t work there’s always Google or Amazon...

Jul 9, 2018 10:58 AM in response to Knut Harald Støre

This has happened to me as well. I thought I resolved the issue by resolving all may devices and iCloud issues. But now that I have left again, I am getting the "No Response" through HomeKit. My devices are connected as I can control them with their specific app remotely...it's just that HomeKit won't allow me remote access at the most inopportune time. I feel this is a defect in the application (or is it affecting a few)...like I said, it worked fine remotely for about three weeks after a hard reset, works fine when I am on my home network, but now is not working remotely. Apple TV as hub. Strong network.

Aug 12, 2018 8:26 PM in response to tmsmedic

So after taking everything into consideration I determined that my router and/or router settings are the problem. I was using the Arris SBG6900-AC and switched back my old router which is an Arris SBG6580.

While on the phone with my cable company I mentioned the problem I was having and he said that having WPS enabled can interfere with signals. I disabled it on my old modem after activating it with cable co and everything has been working great for about 5 days now. Idk if it was the newer modem or the wps settings but I thought I’d share the info.

Aug 16, 2018 8:16 AM in response to scorpio1110

WPS DISABLED HomeKit success!!

Well I must say that all my devices have been up in stable for 12 hours without falling off the network meaning “no response“ has not returned with the exception of one. Hasn’t been this stable for months since my modem replacement.

The one device was deleted by advice on another forum which is bad advice. Here’s what I stumbled upon last night.

When required, instead reset the device (not factory level reset). In settings, Wi-Fi, page down and the device(s) will appear requesting access to your network! Confirm and it’s back on-line!! Check out photos.

Still counting hours of up time. Thank you.

This blog should be made more public.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2018 3:25 PM in response to Knut Harald Støre

Have you found a resolution to this issue? I have had problems with mine since day one. Nothing wants to stay connected. I have to reset either devices or modem a cpl times a day to stay connected. I messed with some settings on my router but that only worked for 3 days and now it’s back to messing up daily. If you found a solution please share. Apple support was no help.

Aug 15, 2018 5:28 AM in response to scorpio1110

I had to replace my modem/Wi-Fi from Comcast. Since then I can’t seem to keep my devices working. HomeKit has no good means to diagnose the network; frustrated. I suspect the ARRIS TG1682G as you all appear discussing Arris modems.

Thanks for the conversation. I hope the restart works. Next, WPS?

@Apple - please build into iOS 12 a better means to diagnose HomeKit problems the simply re-pair or rebuild is the solution.

Aug 15, 2018 5:56 AM in response to SzorosMonkey

WPS is a way to connect devices to the router without using the password. You just push a button on the modem/router and then on your device. The guy at my internet company told me that this cld interfere with these type of accessories. I wld suggest disabling it in your router settings b4 purchasing a new one. I already had a working one so I just went back to it. If you’re not sure how to get to the settings, Comcast shld be able to assist you. I’m not sure if disabling the WPS or the different modem helped but everything has been working great since. No connection issues at home or away and even works great on Apple Watch.

Yes Apple needs to be better trained on resolving these issues. This can’t be the first time it’s happened and they were clueless when I called as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2018 7:48 PM in response to scorpio1110

Thank you so much for your help.

First I restarted Arris modem and some of my HomeKit devices started to function.

Second, I found WPS and disabled it.

I’ll monitor and let everyone know. I might have to reset device and then see.

Questions:

- Are HomeKit devices and platform affected by UPnP being enabled?

- The new Arris modem/Wi-Fi was configured with a 10.0.0.1 IP range instead of 192.168. I would think this should not matter for HomeKit or the devices. Thoughts?

Thanks e

HomeKit accessories not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.