Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update MacOS after buying new SSD

In this topic I discussed my problem which I couldn't update my MacOS system to the newest one after buying a new Samsung EVO 850 SSD. We ended up with that the problem in the SSD because EVO series was already known as problematic hardware for Mac. I bought another SSD, Crucial MX300, as I was advised, it has latest firmware, but it didn't solve the problem.

So is a problem really because of SSD (because of BOTH SSD) or any other suggestion? Is there any other way to update the system except App Store and downloading Combo updates? Or do I need, if I can, to install the clean MacOS to get all the updates?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on May 25, 2018 2:12 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

May 25, 2018 5:35 AM in response to vorant94

The link in your post above doesn't work.

Do you have a previous drive with the OS installed? Do you have an installer in a USB thumb drive or external hard drive?

If not, you may be able to use a friend's mac to download and create a USB installer, then use it to install onto the new SSD.

Please describe the steps you followed to install, and where and what failed.

May 25, 2018 6:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It is strangely, for me a link works as usual. Anyway there is the text from that post:

In app store I have macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update available for installation, but after downloading, restarting and "installing" I get message "Some updates cannot be installed automatically". After that App Store shows that there is no available updates until I refresh page and after that the same story starts from the beginning (macOS update, downloading, restarting, "installing" etc.).

I have default Mac drive but neither my Mac neither friend's PC can't see it, one day it just got broken. So it was the only reason to buy SSD.

I have Time Machine backups (even with these SSDs Machine works perfect) on my external HDD and I used Internet recovery (cmnd+R while booting) to restore system. So I'm not so sure for what do I need USB installer?

Steps are described in quote earlier

May 25, 2018 6:32 AM in response to vorant94

So you do have your system running with the SSD... I was under the impression that you were unable to install.

No I see that the problem seems to be with the updating. Oh, and I can now access the other thread - it must have been a temporary network glitch here.

Now that we are on 10.13.4, did you get to try the Combo update?

Note: I ALWAYS use the Combo update myself

May 25, 2018 10:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

As I told I install (or download) update, it restarts my Mac and begins the installation. In the process of installation it shows approximate time to completion. Near the 13-11 minutes the countdown breaks down and start to count 1 minute for each 1 second past. After restart is complete Mac doesn't ask me to accept privacy terms (as it usual asks after update) instead it shows me notification "Some updates may not be installed". At the end I have my old 10.13.2 version

BTW: I've tried 10.13.4 Combo, it has no effect

May 25, 2018 10:52 AM in response to vorant94

I would back up the drive, then erase and reinstall from the App Store. It will install the current version. Don't restore from the backup. Instead, use the Migration assistant when offered in the Startup Assistant.

If you've already tried that, I don't have any idea what would be stopping the update from completing.

There might be something in the Install logs, but I'm not sure I would know what to look for.

Jun 8, 2018 7:55 AM in response to vorant94

Internet Recovery gets you the version of the OS that shipped with your mac, so you get Yosemite.

In order to do a clean install of 10.13.4 you have to download from the App Store the full OS (not an update), and create an installer disk on a thumb drive or an external drive and use that to install.

Instructions to create this installer drive are easy to come by on the internet.

May 27, 2018 3:29 AM in response to vorant94

When I'm trying to install clean MacOS, it offers me only OS X Yosemite 10.10, not the newest version.

P.S. was trying to install via internet recovery, why do I need app store for this?

If you completely erase the Recovery partition, then Internet Recovery will install the closest OS to the one that shipped on the Mac.

It doesn't matter how you install macOS, it all comes from the Mac App Store.

Can't update MacOS after buying new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.