Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got a new iPhone 8 Plus and i backed up my 7 plus but when I tried to restore the new one it did it but without any of pictures. Can someone help.

I just got a new iPhone 8 Plus and i backed up my 7 plus but when I tried to restore the new one it did it but without any of pictures. Can someone help.

Posted on May 25, 2018 5:15 AM

7 replies

May 25, 2018 9:25 AM in response to Choves38

Choves38 wrote:

...When I want to restore it through the iMac it asked for a password for the encrypte but I don’t remember putting one.

As previously stated by ckuan you must have entered a password when first enabling the encryption tick box, even if you now can't remember it.

User uploaded file

It's quite common under those circumstances (quickly ticking things) to use a common or even the same password as elsewhere in your system because we are all a little lazy at heart, so have you tried your Mac's login password (if one is set) for example or even the one for your Apple ID - the idea is to try and rethink what you might have used when not really giving it much thought at the time. You will see in the above screen shot the option to change the password by first entering the existing, this gives you the opportunity to try out what you might have used, but not sure how many attempts you get so be careful.

Because this "forgotten" password is stored within your iPhone you will not be able to restore any future encrypted backups without it, so your only options are trying to discover what it was (by trying some of the above) or resetting the system and then re-enable encrpted backup again but this time "remembering" the new password, but by doing the latter you are accepting that the older backups are lost to you for ever.

This article explains a bit more https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205220

May 25, 2018 7:20 AM in response to ckuan

So I back up using both iCloud and on the iMac. When I want to restore it through the iMac it asked for a password for the encrypte but I don’t remember putting one. So it would not let me restore that way so I did it through iCloud fo so reason it would stop restoring when it was about 85-90% restored. The iTunes said I needed to download the latest version but when I click to download nothing would show up on the App Store for updates. I’m using the latest IOS.

May 25, 2018 7:33 AM in response to Choves38

Choves38 wrote:

So I back up using both iCloud and on the iMac. When I want to restore it through the iMac it asked for a password for the encrypte but I don’t remember putting one. So it would not let me restore that way so I did it through iCloud fo so reason it would stop restoring when it was about 85-90% restored. The iTunes said I needed to download the latest version but when I click to download nothing would show up on the App Store for updates. I’m using the latest IOS.

With encrypted backup, you can always make backups, but you can only restore from encrypted backup if you have the password. This is a security feature and cannot be bypassed. (BTW, encrypted backup must be allowed by you)

Your iMac OS X should be 10.10.5 (Yosemite) or later to install iTunes 12.7.4 or later which you can then sync with an iPhone with the iOS 11.3.x or later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.