Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra won't install older OS in a different drive

I know, this is well-trodden ground, but it's still a problem: if I am working in a High Sierra environment, I will be unable to open an OLDER version of OS 10 to install into a different disc. "This installer is too old to open...".

So what key combination does it take to do it? I have the older installer ready, but using Restart-R doesn't do anything. In brief: If I am running OS 10.13.4 and I want to install OS 10.10 in an external drive, the old tricks don't work any more. How do I do it?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Mac Pro 5,1 mid-2010

Posted on May 25, 2018 7:54 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2018 10:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks to both of you. I had tried Diskmaker before now, but ran into errors and problems. Whatever-this time it worked, that is, it installed the system onto the disc. What it didn't do, I noticed, was go through the usual process of requesting my name, email, password, language, etc. So now I have the right OS on the right disc, but I can't start up from it. Not sure what went wrong. Is there a workaround, or...well, is there a workaround?

May 27, 2018 4:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes. That's what happens. I enter the password, there's a pause, and then the same screen comes back and I go through the same process again and again, ad nauseum. Clearly there was something wrong with the install. So I stopped wasting my time with Diskmaker and used Terminal, following a script I found online courtesy of MacWorld. It worked. I now have a functioning OS 10.10 disc. I've tried Diskmaker before, it's the first app anyone suggests, and I have never been able to get results with it.

High Sierra won't install older OS in a different drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.