Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Lost all my Notes after upgrade to High Sierra - mac book pro mid 2012

All my notes have been wiped out after i've upgraded to High Sierra.

ps. I don't store anything on external web host...

so I'm hoping to find it back in my computer... but how?

PLEASE someone help me.. i have more than 2 years of notes. Very important for me. Thank you.

i've searched and found this suggested solution, but it doesn't work for me... (so you don't give me this solution as i have already tried it.. 😉 )

1) web search with : ~Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/

2) it lead me to the Notes files on computer :

- NotesV7.storedata

- NotesV7.storedata-shm

- NotesV7.storedata-wal

3) add .html to the first file (that would contain all the data)

4) make a web search with it (NotesV7.storedata.html)

> I'm not getting any document with this search, only a Google search result page with links to various websites.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

May 25, 2018 10:36 AM in response to milca220 In response to milca220

None of the above will work. This is why it's so important to backup data on a timely basis.

If by chance you are using iCloud to sync your Notes, open System Preferences > iCloud. Make sure Notes is checked.

May 25, 2018 10:36 AM

Reply Helpful

May 25, 2018 10:43 AM in response to milca220 In response to milca220

To save notes on iCloud create a web mail account ( it could be of your choice like gmail or any , prefer gmail as it works fine ) , and create an Apple ID https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204053

You must create Apple ID same as your web mail address .

See this article also iCloud: What is iCloud Notes?

Note : do not delete containers files or in any as what you wrote in your post , deleting them could corrupt the Mac .

May 25, 2018 10:43 AM

Reply Helpful

May 25, 2018 12:13 PM in response to Carolyn Samit In response to Carolyn Samit

thank you, i make regular back ups of my various files.. but didn't know how to backup Notes.. started to make copy/paste on doc.. but i just started.. most of it is not saved.. ..

no, i don't want to use iCloud.. i like to keep my privacy.. but now it is backing it up automatically on iCloud.. i have to find how to desactive this.. i will not use Notes anymore.. i will write my notes on a document..

it is just unthinkable that Apple didn't write a clear warning on the download page before upgrading..

How come Apple doesn't give the solution to recuperate our Notes ??? what a waste of time and how nerve wrecking to have to find a solution..

May 25, 2018 12:13 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: milca220

Question: Lost all my Notes after upgrade to High Sierra - mac book pro mid 2012