Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relink: Can the Display Name follow the new Filename?

Hello,

Running FCP X 10.4.1.

We operate in a vfx environment, where files will be typically named "FileA_Vnnn", where "nnn" = 000 to 999. In other words, as the effects on a shot evolve and a new version is rendered out, we increment the filename by 1.

So, as we offline a Project, we will start with lower numbers and once we are ready to on-line, we will relink to higher resolution files, and the filenames will be different. For example:

Offline: FileA_V002

Online: FileA_V025

The File Relinking works fine, but by design, the display name of all files in FCP remain their original ones, e.g. "FileA_V002" in my example. If I look at the "Filename" property, it is indeed linked to the latest version, e.g. FileA_V025, but neither my Browser of Projects display v025. From what I gather, a manual edit is possible, but that is very cumbersome: if you update the Display Name in the Browser, the name does not update in all Project instances where the clip is located, and vice versa. Considering there are hundreds of shots involved, this is not a viable option anyway.

Is there anyway to force a re-sync of the loaded clips to update to their underlying filenames?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Alain

Posted on May 25, 2018 11:50 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Relink: Can the Display Name follow the new Filename?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.