Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app badge

I have a red badge on my photos app on my Mac dock and don't know how to get rid of it or what it means.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on May 25, 2018 10:54 AM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2018 3:45 PM in response to Old Toad

Just figured it out. I did have a shared folder from a friend on my System Photos Library. Was not aware I had two libraries. I had Photos pointed to my external HD to save space. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to get my shared album on my external HD.... I don't know if that is possible for me to share with friends though that way. User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2018 4:59 AM in response to Trackx

The shared albums are iCloud services, and you can only enable iCloud servercesin the System Photo Library. So you will not be seeing the Shared section in any other library.

If you want to use Shared albums in any other Photos Library, you have to enable "Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System Photo Library" and "Photos > Preferences >ICloud > Shared Albums" for that other library. This will disable any cloud services for the current System Photo Library however.

Photos app badge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.