Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do with "Pages is missing its index.xml file."

I get this message with some pages files that I think I created on my iPad. Shouldn't I be able to open pages files on my Mac? (Yes there are some old discussions from 2014, but those ideas either didn't apply or didn't work.)

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on May 25, 2018 12:43 PM

5 replies

May 25, 2018 12:50 PM in response to Larry Israel

Only Pages '06, '08, and '09 documents have the internal index.xml file. Pages v5/6/7 are an entirely different document format (without an index.xml file) and are not backwards compatible with Pages '08, or '09.

You will get that missing index.xml file dialog when you attempt to open a Pages v5/6/7 document in Pages '08 or '09, and it cannot find the expected index.xml file.

Ensure that Pages '08/'09 has been quit, and then double-click the offending document to get it to open in Pages 7.

May 25, 2018 9:46 PM in response to Larry Israel

Hi Larry,

"Neither of those will open the files."

Perhaps not, but the only one of those that will present the "…missing its index.xml file" message is Pages '09. Pages 7 does not require an index.xml file, and won't complain about a missing one.

Can you open the file in Numbers for iCloud? If so, you should be able to save the result in iCloud, ad open that with Pages 7.

Regards,

Barry

May 25, 2018 10:59 PM in response to Barry

Correct, version 7 says, "[File] can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.

Pages created this file on October 11, 2017."

I don't have iCloud.

Is it possible that a pages file from iPad won't open with pages on Mac?

Thank you, Barry!

May 26, 2018 6:12 AM in response to Larry Israel

On the Mac, perform a Show Inspector on the file that won't open in Pages 7. Select the file icon, and then press option+command+i.

You said that you think the obstinate Pages document was created on your iPad. What is the creation date on the problematic Pages document? Does it show Pages Publication for the Kind?

Pages 7 and Pages '09 will not open Pages documents created by Pages '05, or from conversion results of PDF or Word documents to Pages from online converters.

What to do with "Pages is missing its index.xml file."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.