Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded to Sierra and now macOS Server will not work. I asking me purchase

Is there a way around not paying for macOS server after Sierra upgrade?

Posted on May 25, 2018 1:05 PM

1 reply

May 27, 2018 2:55 PM in response to speckroe

Server.app is usually a purchase on an upgrade. Cost was around US$20.

if Apple indicates it’s a paid upgrade, then it’s a paid upgrade.

Different releases of macOS and of Server.app have had different versions of associated software, and have used different directories and configuration files and commands. Netoskr connection security and server security are among the areas that have been upgraded.

Members of the Apple Developer programs have had access to Server.app for various releases, though I’ve not recently checked whether that is still available to program members.

It’s been very rare for Server.app to work across specific and adjacent macOS versions, and the older versions never allowed that.

Older versions of Mac OS X Server (prior to 10.7 and the advent of Server.app) cost $500 and $1000 per license, for the user-limited and unlimited versions.

Most of the services provided by Server.app are being deprecated, which means folks will be manually maintaining and upgrading locally-necessary network services and components, or will be migrating. Prepare for changes to macOS Server - Apple Support

I upgraded to Sierra and now macOS Server will not work. I asking me purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.