Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean that xxx Mb is purgeable?

In the Get Info dialog box, What does it mean that xxx Mb is purgeable?

User uploaded file

macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 2.9 Mhz i7, 8GB MEM, 1TB HDD

Posted on May 25, 2018 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2018 3:46 PM

What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac? - Apple Support

In macOS Sierra, “Purgeable” content appears when you've turned on Optimize Mac Storage. It's storage space that your Mac can automatically make available when storage space is needed. Files marked as purgeable can always be downloaded again on demand.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2018 3:46 PM in response to rick wintomac

What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac? - Apple Support

In macOS Sierra, “Purgeable” content appears when you've turned on Optimize Mac Storage. It's storage space that your Mac can automatically make available when storage space is needed. Files marked as purgeable can always be downloaded again on demand.

Jul 5, 2018 10:05 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the response, Barney. Nevertheless, is there a way to get rid of data that the Sierra considers "purgeable"? For some reason, as I delete data Sierra adds that to the purgeable portion of the "available" space instead of counting that space as truly "free". Some applications do not consider purgeable data as true free space and will not run if the true free space is less than their requirements. Utilities such as SpaceGremlin Pro and CleanMyMac3 do not recognize it either. I have also used Terminal to determine that this is not a time machine snapshot problem for me. Any suggestions?

What does it mean that xxx Mb is purgeable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.