Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the order of songs on a playlist?

No matter what I do after I drag the songs in to the order I want, after I hit done, they go right back to the order they were originally in.

Posted on May 25, 2018 1:50 PM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2018 4:45 PM in response to turingtest2

Reply to your question "What ver. of iTunes are you running?": 12.7.5.9.

Later.... Thanks. You provided the missing link, iTunes. I looked at iTunes--and there are the gear wheels, and right-click gives option Burn to Disc.

Quick looks and review of prev. emails but cannot re-arrange a playlist to burn in that new order. Songs jump back to

original spot. Here's screen shot. (This is great to have you helping. Appreciated.)

User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2018 12:01 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Frustration continues. Sorry to report that the tactic--right clicking on playlist name in sidebar--gives only the options New Tab, Remove....etc. Not the desired "Copy to Play Order"....

Music on CDs always comes out ignoring the onscreen order--alphabetical, date, size, etc. What am I missing, if something?

A related question: How to arrange items on playlist and NOT have Mac force them into Date or Size, etc., despite my setting in "Arrange by" to "None"? This Mac seems just fine except is recalcitrant/perverse/cursed(?) that way.

(I hope your reply/posting will come with an email notice it's up.)

Randy

Jul 4, 2018 12:16 PM in response to randyfolsom

Use the Songs view of a playlist in your library. Click the heading of the leftmost column of numbers to sort on that column. This is the current play order. You should be able to drag tracks up or down this list, they should stay where you drop them, and this is the order that should copy to a device or in which the tracks should burn to an audio CD.

tt2

Jul 5, 2018 8:53 AM in response to randyfolsom

Hmm. What version of iTunes are you running? I'm not sure where in the current version of iTunes you would get a gear icon for a playlist. In the songs layout sorting on the leftmost column of numbers, or in the Playlist view using View > Sort By > Playlist Order should both give lists you can rearrange. Can you post a screenshot showing the layout and the gear menu you refer to?

tt2

Jul 5, 2018 11:30 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

What? That's the first time anyone or anyplace mentioned iTunes. Simple and logical to use a Finder list to select recordings for a Burn Folder. Intuitive, sensible, logical and easy. Good old user-friendly, reliable, my pal, Mac. But, as I wrote, then CDs recorded don't come out with the original desired order. And no solution exists anywhere. Perhaps through you, talented user.

So must I use iTunes for selecting and CD burning? If so, how disappointing that Apple//Mac would make it tricky; and why is this knowledge not found anywhere, def. not in Help.

A large pizza will soon be in the mail if you have the solution.

Randy

Jul 5, 2018 1:32 PM in response to randyfolsom

randyfolsom wrote:

What? That's the first time anyone or anyplace mentioned iTunes.

Yes, this thread is all about iTunes (as evident by where you found it within Communities ... i.e. "iTunes for Mac").

I do not know how to burn a CD outside of iTunes, perhaps you ought to post your question in a different area of Communities to get the support you need (perhaps under "Mac OS & System Software" then whichever version is relevant to your case. Perhaps you'll find a pizza savior over there, good luck!

How do I change the order of songs on a playlist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.