Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM, 16 GB RAM Upgrade

I have a 13" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM (Factory). OWC is offering a Memory Upgrade Kit - 16 GB (2 - 8 GB memory cards) and claims it is compatible. According to Apple, 8 GB is the maximum allowed. Anyone have any experience with installing the 16 GB kit??? Thanks. jn

Posted on May 25, 2018 3:23 PM

7 replies

May 25, 2018 8:30 PM in response to prof_john

prof_john wrote:

Thanks very much, Phil. I thought as much. Didn't know that Apple does not update their product info. Appreciate your response. jn

There are a lot of configurations that users determined to work through trial and error. One older Mac notebook apparently maxes out at 6 GB for some reason. The MacBook Pro RAM installation instructions indicate they were published in 2017, but it still says 8 GB max for the mid-2012 models.

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

May 25, 2018 5:29 PM in response to prof_john

OWC tests all configurations it offers for compatibility. If they say it works, you can be confident it does.

Apple on the other hand does not update their specs after the fact. Back in 2012 8GB modules would not have existed, so nothing for Apple to test. And they would not have tested again when 8GB modules became available.

If you have any issues they have excellent customer service and you can return or replace the faulty modules if necessary.

May 25, 2018 10:46 PM in response to prof_john

I have the same MBP and immediately upgraded it with an SSD and OWC RAM - I didn't get the 16 GB because that would have been an overkill for my purposes, so I got 12 (8 + 4). It's been doing great. Since OWC tests their recommended RAM suggestions, I trust them - they will stand behind their products and claims.

RAM, 16 GB RAM Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.