Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

album in photos i want to use for imovie

i cannot create a new project using an album in photos (ver 2.0). when i'm in imovie and select event, my album doesn't appear as one of the choices. I've tried to select all photos in the album and drag them to the imovie screen since it is not letting me use import media. I always have difficulty in creating a new project. then after i struggle with it for awhile, i finally get it. the photos library "use as system library" is grayed out. I have the photos album open when i open imovie. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

i am using mac os siera 10.12.6 and imovie 10.1.6

Posted on May 25, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2018 8:36 PM

Hi,

First, unless you have some reason for not doing so, you might consider updating to High Sierra and iMovie 10.1.9. The High Sierra upgrade will get you Photos 3.0.

Events in iMovie contain only photos and vid clips, not albums. That's why no albums are showing. If you have an album in the Photos app that you want to use to use in iMovie you import the photos in the album, not the album itself.

One way to access your Photos app albums in iMovie: Click on the Photos Library icon in the iMovie media sidebar, select My Albums in the selection items at the top of the browser screen. That will display all of your albums. If they are not displaying, click also on the All Albums item to the right of the My Albums selection, even if it looks grayes out. . Then click on the displayed album that you want and drag the photos and clips that you want into an iMovie project timeline.

Another way is to drag your photos from the Photos app album to your desktop and from there drag them into iMovie. You cannot drag directly from the Photos app into iMovie. You must first drag them into the Finder, such as on your Desktop.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2018 8:36 PM in response to 2photo89

Hi,

First, unless you have some reason for not doing so, you might consider updating to High Sierra and iMovie 10.1.9. The High Sierra upgrade will get you Photos 3.0.

Events in iMovie contain only photos and vid clips, not albums. That's why no albums are showing. If you have an album in the Photos app that you want to use to use in iMovie you import the photos in the album, not the album itself.

One way to access your Photos app albums in iMovie: Click on the Photos Library icon in the iMovie media sidebar, select My Albums in the selection items at the top of the browser screen. That will display all of your albums. If they are not displaying, click also on the All Albums item to the right of the My Albums selection, even if it looks grayes out. . Then click on the displayed album that you want and drag the photos and clips that you want into an iMovie project timeline.

Another way is to drag your photos from the Photos app album to your desktop and from there drag them into iMovie. You cannot drag directly from the Photos app into iMovie. You must first drag them into the Finder, such as on your Desktop.

-- Rich

album in photos i want to use for imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.