Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which would be a good device for school?

Im about to start taking classes online for my orthopedic tech program and i would like to know what ipad or laptop would be good for that. I heard the latest ipads are good for note taking than a macbook because they have multi-touch but is it worth it? And do older ipads support the multi-touch screen?

Posted on May 25, 2018 5:50 PM

4 replies

May 26, 2018 11:02 AM in response to irishanderson

I went on a world trip with my son for his 21st birthday. I decided to test the usefulness of an iPad rather than my MacBook for most of the computer requirements while travelling. I expected to use the two devices about 50/50.

My experience was I could use the iPad for 90% of my requirements. The reason?

Apps! The issue is NOT whether a computer or a tablet will do the job. The issue is, what is the job?

With a combination of Apps, especially cloud and productivity apps like Evernote, which can sync with your laptop or desktop, you can use the iPad for everything:

• personal and business mail
  • personal and business calendar
  • personal and business finances
  • curated and searchable note taking
  • web browsing and web research
  • Wikipanion, TEDeX, Podcasts, social media, iTunes U, etc

So yes, an iPad could do everything you need, and most professional apps support multitasking and split view, which enables very easy research (web browser in one window) and note taking (Evernote in another window).

May 25, 2018 6:28 PM in response to irishanderson

Don’t understand your question about multi-touch.

All current mobile smart phones and tablet devices, including Apple mobile devices, are multi touch devices.

So, part of your question makes no sense.

If you mean multitasking, then only older iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, the 2017 & 2018 5th and 6th gen iPads and the iPad Mini 4 are capable of some multitasking features, such as Slide Over and Split screen view multitasking and video Picture in Picture ( PiP ).

The older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen iPad Mini cannot multitask.

The older iPad Air 1 and iPad Mini 2 and 3 have limited multitasking features.

The ONLY way to gauge whether or not an iPad would be better or “worth it” for you than a laptop or MacBook would be to go to an Apple Store and spend some quality time with these devices.

If you decide on a device, get the largest storage capacity you can afford as you cannot add any internal storage later.

Currently, the most inexpensive iPad with Apple Pencil support is the current 2018, 9.7 inch screen iPad 6th generation.

A Wifi ONLY, 128 ( approx. 118 GBs of actual data storage ) iPad 6th gen will cost $429 U.S.D..

The same model with WiFi/Cellular data capability will cost you $529 U.S.D..

Good Luck to You!

May 25, 2018 6:24 PM in response to irishanderson

An iPad is NOT a laptop/MacBook replacement.

So, if you think you need a full blown, full featured computer, then an iPad isn't for you.

There are no Mac computers with multitouch.

If you need the best of both worlds, a multitouch tablet device and full featured laptop, the the ONLY product that fits this category is the Microsoft Surface line of tablet computers.

Once again, Good Luck!

Which would be a good device for school?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.