Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone restore not successful (iOS 11.3.1)

Hi all,

I recently performed a full backup from my old iPhone 6 (running iOS 11.2.5) to iTunes. I tried to restore this backup to another iPhone 7 (running iOS 11.3.1) but it got stuck at the Apple logo screen with a full progress bar for over 8 hours. What should I do? BTW, I have tested on another iPhone6S (running iOS 11.3.1) but the same happened.

Regards,

blowwater

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 25, 2018 8:00 PM

22 replies

May 27, 2018 3:20 AM in response to blowwater

It's not a matter of incompatibility between iOS versions (the one you used to perform the full backup must be = or < (earlier) to the one you have on the destination iPhone).

Are you running the latest iTunes version (now 12.7.4) on your computer?

Do you still have your old iP6 with all the data on it? I mean can you perform a new full backup?

Take a look at these official Apple support guides:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

or

Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

May 27, 2018 2:16 AM in response to FranzWebber

Thanks for your reply. There is no message in the Apple logo screen. I left the phone running over 24 hours but still stuck at the Apple logo screen. Today I tried the following but still no luck.

- Restore and update iPhone7 back to 11.3.1 (erase everything, that is the only option after the long stuck)

- Perform a clean backup from old iPhone6 (11.2.5) and then restore the backup to iPhone7. Now it's still stuck at Apple logo screen with progress bar completed.

Do you have any other idea?

May 27, 2018 3:58 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thanks for your reply. I still have the old iPhone6 on hand. As stated in my previous reply, I installed the latest version of iTunes 12.7.4.80 in a new copy of Windows7 and performed a full backup of iPhone6 (11.2.5) and then try to restore to the iPhone7 (11.3.1). There is still no luck. As I have tested to restore to another iPhone6S (11.3.1), I am quite sure that it is the problem of iOS11.3.1 rather than hardware issue. Both the iPhone6S and iPhone7 used for restore can be setup as new phone and running properly, they just cannot pass the restoration process. I am asking my friend to borrow his old iPhone6+, will try that later.

May 28, 2018 9:42 PM in response to FranzWebber

Thanks for your reply. As my friend's iPhone 6+ is running 11.3.1, I can only test the backup & restore on this iPhone. The backup and restore works fine so the iTunes is OK. However when I restore the iPhone 6 (11.2.5) backup to this iPhone 6+ (11.3.1), it failed again. I am now restoring my friend's iPhone6+ with the backup. BTW, I just added storage to my iCloud and performing an iCloud backup now.

May 31, 2018 7:46 AM in response to blowwater

I had similar issue while upgrading from ios 11 to 11.2. I believe you "cannot" restore backup from lower iOS version to higher iOS version(means, you cannot restore iOS 11.2 backup on iOS 11.3.1). You can go with these options.

1. Clean install ios 11.3.1(Use IPSW)

2. Create icloud backup and upgrade to iOS 11.4(Latest iOS version right now) using your phone(Setting>Genaral>Software Update). This should keep your data intact.

Cheers!

May 31, 2018 10:14 AM in response to pranay9127

pranay9127 wrote:

I had similar issue while upgrading from ios 11 to 11.2. I believe you "cannot" restore backup from lower iOS version to higher iOS version(means, you cannot restore iOS 11.2 backup on iOS 11.3.1). You can go with these options.

You're not correct.

Restore from a lower iOS version backup to a higher version iOS device = yes

Restore from a higher iOS version backup to a lower version iOS device = no.

May 31, 2018 6:48 PM in response to ckuan

You are right. My iPhone6 (11.2.5) backup version is lower than the iPhone7 (11.3.1), just curious why I cannot restore to it (both iTunes or iCloud backup are not working). I have tested a backup and restore (from 11.2.5 to 11.2.5) successfully using the same iTunes (12.7.4.80). It seems that Apple has added some additional requirements for a restore since 11.3.

May 31, 2018 7:47 PM in response to blowwater

Try and test.

1. Delete the i6 backup in iTunes

2. Make a new full backup of i6.

3. With i6 test restore from i6 backup

4. If it's good, wipe i6 clean Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content an Settings

5. Restore again with i6 again.

6. If it's good, wipe i7 clean (number 4)

7. Restore i7 with i6 backup.

May 31, 2018 9:16 PM in response to ckuan

Thanks for your reply. I have performed your recommended steps recently (wipe iPhone6 and restore again) using a fresh install of Windows 7 and iTunes. It works perfectly for 11.2.5. I also DFU the iPhone7 (11.3.1, too bad that it cannot be downgraded to 11.2.5) and then perform the restore. It failed with an endless Apple logo screen. Do you have any other idea?

iPhone restore not successful (iOS 11.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.