Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac will not boot. When I go into disk utility it shows as full. I want to enter safe mode but the shift command on boot does not work.

My computer will not boot. I believe the disk is full. I want to enter safe mode and remove items but the shift key will not enter me into safe mode.

iMac, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on May 25, 2018 8:33 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 26, 2018 9:19 AM in response to susiefromdriggs

If your internal hard drive is that full, you will need to do as Kappy suggested. If you mean the disks that came with the computer, you can use those or you can erase and reinstall from the Recovery Partition. Using the Recovery Partition will reinstall the current OS.

Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then re-install the OS. Use Setup Assistant to selectively restore your data.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

My Mac will not boot. When I go into disk utility it shows as full. I want to enter safe mode but the shift command on boot does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.