Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos window not opening and application not responding

For the past few days, my photos application window will not open. The black dot below the icon on the dock shows up and the "Photos" application menu appears at the top left, but when I hover my cursor over it, it only shows the spinning color wheel. I have to force quit the application. Upon research, I saw solutions to open it with option-command or to delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences, but neither option works.

Also, not sure if this is related, but this issue seems to also affect my screen saver. Both when the screensaver itself activates and in the settings app, it continues to say "loading photos", but it never loads.

I haven't downloaded anything or changed any settings that I believe would have affected it, so I can't tell what caused this issue.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 25, 2018 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Ok - it is an issue with your account, not with the Photo app or with your OS

download and runEterCheck and copy and paste the entire report here and boot into safe mode and see if it works in safe mode(this cleans caches and disables most outside software) - if it does work in safe mode boot back to normal and try again

LN

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2018 1:59 PM in response to emma.lent01

Ok - it is an issue with your account, not with the Photo app or with your OS

download and runEterCheck and copy and paste the entire report here and boot into safe mode and see if it works in safe mode(this cleans caches and disables most outside software) - if it does work in safe mode boot back to normal and try again

LN

May 26, 2018 1:16 PM in response to Old Toad

It only happens on my user accounts, not the guest one.

Also, if you're asking if I have my Photos library synced to iCloud, no, I do not.

Thank you for your time and effort, by the way. Much appreciated.

Edit: I just realized that when I go into my System Preferences, everything works fine except the "iCloud" setting. Clicking that option freezes the app and makes it unresponsive. It either goes unresponsive as soon as I click it and nothing happens, or it enters that setting and becomes unresponsive then. I can't access that setting by right-clicking it on the dock either. Again, this only happens on my user account.

Photos window not opening and application not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.