Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Photos window not opening and application not responding

For the past few days, my photos application window will not open. The black dot below the icon on the dock shows up and the "Photos" application menu appears at the top left, but when I hover my cursor over it, it only shows the spinning color wheel. I have to force quit the application. Upon research, I saw solutions to open it with option-command or to delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences, but neither option works.

Also, not sure if this is related, but this issue seems to also affect my screen saver. Both when the screensaver itself activates and in the settings app, it continues to say "loading photos", but it never loads.

I haven't downloaded anything or changed any settings that I believe would have affected it, so I can't tell what caused this issue.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Ok - it is an issue with your account, not with the Photo app or with your OS

download and runEterCheck and copy and paste the entire report here and boot into safe mode and see if it works in safe mode(this cleans caches and disables most outside software) - if it does work in safe mode boot back to normal and try again

LN

Posted on

May 25, 2018 11:32 PM in response to emma.lent01 In response to emma.lent01

Does an application window for Photos show in the Window menu in the main menu bar of photos? Like this?

User uploaded file

Then click on Photos, if it is showing.

You may not see the application window, if it has been shifted towards the borders of the display or another Desktop.

May 25, 2018 11:32 PM

Reply Helpful

May 26, 2018 7:33 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

I can see the application menu appear, but I can’t click Window. The entire menu bar is unresponsive. When I try to click it, the color wheel shows up and never goes away. From the second I open the application, it’s completely unresponsive.

May 26, 2018 7:33 AM

Reply Helpful

May 26, 2018 10:55 AM in response to emma.lent01 In response to emma.lent01

Now to see if the problem is system wide or limited to your user account. Log into another user account on your Mac and repeat the test.

Also do you have the iCloud Photo Library activated in Photos' iCloud Preference pane?

May 26, 2018 10:55 AM

Reply Helpful

May 26, 2018 1:16 PM in response to Old Toad In response to Old Toad

It only happens on my user accounts, not the guest one.

Also, if you're asking if I have my Photos library synced to iCloud, no, I do not.

Thank you for your time and effort, by the way. Much appreciated.

Edit: I just realized that when I go into my System Preferences, everything works fine except the "iCloud" setting. Clicking that option freezes the app and makes it unresponsive. It either goes unresponsive as soon as I click it and nothing happens, or it enters that setting and becomes unresponsive then. I can't access that setting by right-clicking it on the dock either. Again, this only happens on my user account.

May 26, 2018 1:16 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

May 26, 2018 1:59 PM in response to emma.lent01 In response to emma.lent01

Ok - it is an issue with your account, not with the Photo app or with your OS

download and runEterCheck and copy and paste the entire report here and boot into safe mode and see if it works in safe mode(this cleans caches and disables most outside software) - if it does work in safe mode boot back to normal and try again

LN

May 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Reply Helpful (2)
User profile for user: emma.lent01

Question: Photos window not opening and application not responding