Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show Movie Resolution in Listview in finder

I want to know whether my movies are in Hidef or not. I know I can look at each movie one at a time. But I had found a way to have listview show additional fields. I remember it required that I rename the folder Picture (for some odd reason).

The view option had additional exif fields. I cannot find this information again. For videos, it showed under a reference for pixels or perhaps size (not in bytes).

As screens/monitors are getting larger, some older movies have to be updated, or removed or archived as they don't have the resolution. Getting the information in listview can allow me to sort on the field and clean it up.

Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), iOS 10.2.1

Posted on May 25, 2018 11:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2018 6:16 AM

I don’t know if you can do it in list view, but as an alternative you could try column view. You won’t be able to see it all at once but for each video file you could see it as you select it.

You may also be able to use search and create smart folders based on frame size (not at my mac to confirm this; command-f in Finder then select other criteria and I believe it is there).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2018 6:16 AM in response to Jarmaracark

I don’t know if you can do it in list view, but as an alternative you could try column view. You won’t be able to see it all at once but for each video file you could see it as you select it.

You may also be able to use search and create smart folders based on frame size (not at my mac to confirm this; command-f in Finder then select other criteria and I believe it is there).

May 26, 2018 6:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, that is helpful. But it still requires that I look at each file and then delete them individually. That is incredibly time consuming.

I know iI found how to do it a few months ago. I know it involved changing the folder name to Picture. By having a field for this, all the files could be quickly sorted, and anything below a certain number could be deleted in a few keystrokes.

Press the column header to sort. Highlight the ones not needed. Move to trash. Or look at every file, decide if it meets the criteria, move it to trash. Repeat, 500 times. Should I have an extra day or two, I can review them one at at a time.

May 26, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Jarmaracark

In ListView, the Pictures folder, or Movies folder offer different column choices. Both offer Dimensions, but only Pictures offers Resolution — just not for movies that happen to be placed in the Pictures folder.

So, in your Movies folder's ListView, right-click on the column names bar, and select Dimension. You can also click on a movie, and press option+command+i which will show the Dimensions in More Info. Unlike the normal Get Info, the Show Inspector view will change as you arrow down through your listed files.

Show Movie Resolution in Listview in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.