Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you downgrade Final Cut Pro X to earlier version

I recently upgraded to High Sierra, and as a result my NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M is no longer CUDA compatible because there is no driver.

This makes editing in DaVinci Resolve impossible. OpenCL is so slow that DaVinci Resolve cannot play back xml videos any more.

High Sierra is truly a terrible operating system and because it has incapacitated my graphics card for editing in DaVinci Resolve it has to go.

This means FCP X 10.4.2 will not work on Sierra. Can I downgrade FCP X?

I have waited so long to upgrade to High Sierra, and researched potential problems - that it would kill my graphics card for work with DaVinci Resolve - who would have expected such a silly move by Apple. You cannot release an operating system that has no drivers for the graphics card.

I have tried for three hours to get DaVinci Resolve to work. It doesn't. I have a lot of slow motion on this particular film and DaVinci cannot play it: it's choppy and even does not play some scenes, just jumps over it. So my only option is to downgrade the system.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on May 25, 2018 10:59 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 26, 2018 8:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello Luis, I have the latest Cuda Driver, update from May 17th. It is version 396.64.

I still get the "Update required" message with the note there is no newer Cuda Driver available.

When I set DaVinci Resolve graphic processing to CUDA, I get the error message that my computer has no Cuda Capable Graphics card. But I checked. I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650Mgraphics card with is Kepler 3.0 computing capable and therefore is up to DaVinci Resolve standards. So it should work, but it doesn't.

Because of this, playback on DaVinci REsolve does not work. I even have two scenes DaVinci skips over and that I cannot even color correct.

User uploaded file

May 26, 2018 8:40 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm on the free version, Tom. So far I have posted at the BMD forum, but there is no response.

I'm trying BMD now - those three scenes that cannot be played are really creepy.

I really want to make this work, as DaVinci is such an amazing software. With a few clicks you get a color mood that no other application I have used for years (Photoshop, Capture One Pro, Lightroom, DPP, and even Final Cut Pro) can do this fast and intuitively (or maybe not at all). They must really have a secret sauce - so well do the controls grab the color information. It's like having more purchase with your hand grabbing something, that slips through your hands easily with other applications. A marvel! And I'm just a beginner with DaVinci - I can only imagine what you I can do once I truly know the color interface.

I will also contact Nvidia.

Can you downgrade Final Cut Pro X to earlier version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.