Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra system takes 182GB? ***?

High Sierra is ridiculous. It takes 182GB of my 251GB laptop! What is it doing that? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 26, 2018 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2018 11:29 AM

Is this a recent upgrade to High Sierra or have you been running it for awhile?

Did you just notice this, or ongoing?

I have seen anywhere from 12 to 350+ GB in Mail logs if you have checked Log Connection Activity.

Mail>Window>Connection Doctor>Log Connection Activity

If you click Show Logs in will take you straight to the folder in Finder. Verify log file size.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail

User uploaded file

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2018 11:29 AM in response to GingerKoko

Is this a recent upgrade to High Sierra or have you been running it for awhile?

Did you just notice this, or ongoing?

I have seen anywhere from 12 to 350+ GB in Mail logs if you have checked Log Connection Activity.

Mail>Window>Connection Doctor>Log Connection Activity

If you click Show Logs in will take you straight to the folder in Finder. Verify log file size.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail

User uploaded file

May 26, 2018 12:51 AM in response to GingerKoko

Depending on where you look for information the results may vary.

Via 'About this Mac' in the  menu Finder the panel that makes an

appearance then, offers several items; the Storage would show all

the bits and pieces used by all system parts including partitions.

Or Disk Utility can show you a different aspect of how storage is used.

Some information from Activity Monitor can reflect another viewpoint.

And IF you can see the hard drive icon on the desktop, use Get Info

to see how that lets you see another perspective.

Each vintage or series of operating system has differences; and these

also affect how you can view them. And too if you had Etrecheck utility

that can be run and generate a report, that also shows you more if you

have a paid version. The report may also be posted in your discussion.

User uploaded file

May 26, 2018 11:05 AM in response to GingerKoko

Not being able to see what's on your Mac, I can't say what's going on, but it certainly isn't right. I have High Sierra on two drives. One with numerous large production apps, and the other pretty much an install of HS and nothing else.

High Sierra production drive - 58.5 GB

High Sierra only - 17.3 GB

And on the HS only drive, that's everything. System, Library, Applications, etc.

You may have a runaway process that is causing Console to go crazy saving mountains of useless data.

May 26, 2018 11:28 AM in response to nugoth

nugoth, that is precisely where I go to see that the System is so huge and it never decreases even at fresh startup.

leroyhuges, this is recent upgrade. Before High Sierra, system space was tiny.

kurt lang, this is the system usage even after a fresh reboot with minimal processes loaded at startup.

k shaffer, researching shows nothing as to how that storage is used.

I DID read during an obscure Google search that it has been suspected that Time Machine can cause this kind of ridiculous bloat. I run Time Machine which backs up to an external My Passport. I read that some people suspect that High Sierra 'also stores' onto the originating drive and if true, it is ridiculous ... the whole purpose of an external drive is to store elsewhere!

I may have to revert to El Capitan if I can't resolve this. I keep running out of HD space. I think it is a bug in High Sierra. I so appreciate all of your inputs but I am at a loss to FIRMLY IDENTIFY and FIX the problem. High Sierra 10.13.4. I never thought I'd say this but Apple has really let me down on this one.

May 26, 2018 11:48 AM in response to GingerKoko

Shame on this forum for limiting my ability to thank someone!

That's just the way it's setup, and has been for quite some time. The person who started the topic can award one Solved, and two Helpful marks.

However, a somewhat recent addition is any post can be marked Helpful by any other users. When that particular post gets 5 or more Helpful clicks, it then also gets a Helpful star.

May 26, 2018 12:09 PM in response to nugoth

nugoth, you are correct - all are less than 50MB except for imap.gmail.com which is 94GB. And can someone please verify it is safe to delete all those logs listed there? I'm nervous until I'm sure I'm not misunderstanding the direction.

When I tried to view that imap.gmmail log, I double-clicked it and my system froze completely. I had to restart. Gosh.

May 26, 2018 12:15 PM in response to GingerKoko

Most apps would have trouble managing a 94GB file.

The logs would be sequential. It may be that one failed to complete, for example if there had been a crash. Or maybe you have lots of chunky attachments.

Either way, the logs can be deleted. You could even delete the Gmail account and then add it again. Your emails are held on the Gmail server and your Mac Mail client is accessing that repository.

May 26, 2018 12:25 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroy! I deleted all the logs, unchecked Connection Doctor, emptied trash and my system dropped to 42GB!!!! I can't thank you enough - I NEVER would have solved this (and learned many additional things) without your support.

YOU ROCK! You ALL rock! And now because I was checking you all as helpful, it won't let me even mark it as solved because I had already marked you as helpful. Please just know that you did solve it for me!

High Sierra system takes 182GB? ***?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.