Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does El Capitan handle untagged color values send to Display?

It seems, El Capitan does not assume sRGB for those color values.

Instead, EC most likely sends these values either directly into the Monitor's Gamut or uses the (calibrated) Monitor profile.

Any insights welcome!

Background to this question:

I'm encountering an issue with Preview Rendering Systems in 3D applications while using a hardware calibrated Wide Gamut Display: the Preview Renderers are displaying far oversaturated colors, while the final rendered image does show colors as expected (within sRGB/AdobeRGB colorspace).

My only explanation for this issue so far would be that -as 3D applications aren't truly color managed- the color values are send untagged to screen and OSX then maps these color values into the Display's Gamut (or into the Display's .icc profile).

This is no issue if one is using a Windows computer (as Windows obviously just assumes sRGB as colorspace) and also if one is using a sRGB Display on OSX.

But unfortunately it is a big issue on a Wide Gamut (AdobeRGB) Display.

So I hope to get the desired info here so that I can can send in a sound bug report to the 3D application developers.

Thank you in advance!

Posted on May 26, 2018 3:46 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

How does El Capitan handle untagged color values send to Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.