Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PREVIEW ? : how to securely lock a preview doc

How do I export a document in preview or pages so that it can not be altered, or duplicated to alter it? I need to send a document to someone and want to make sure it can not be altered in any way. Locking does not seem sufficient, since the someone can always just duplicate then change the document. Thanks!

Posted on May 26, 2018 8:39 AM

3 replies

May 27, 2018 4:13 AM in response to gwhz

If you are sharing the PDF, and providing select others with the password, then Apple products do not set separate document, and print, change, or content passwords.

On the otherhand, with LibreOffice v6.0.4 (and earlier), the Export to PDF panel offers more flexibility by providing separate passwords for the document, and printing, changes, and content access:

User uploaded file

May 26, 2018 1:13 PM in response to gwhz

In Pages, you can set a password on the document from the File menu, or you can export to PDF, and check Require password to open.

In Preview, you open a PDF document, and then from the File menu, you Export as PDF… . On that resulting export panel, you click the Show Details button in the bottom panel, select Encrypt, and apply a password.

May 26, 2018 7:17 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you.

When I tested I this I was able to open the doc with a password and then edit it. Good for sharing with someone who will need a password to open, but they can still edit the doc once opened. What I want is for the doc to be completely locked - so that no one can change the contents, ever.

PREVIEW ? : how to securely lock a preview doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.