Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retaining files on hard drive when using iCloud backup

My Mac is set to backup to iCloud, but it appears to have deleted everything on my hard drive and moved it to iCloud. How do I set the backup so it remains on my Mac as well?

Posted on May 26, 2018 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 7:59 PM

there is no iCloud backup for Macs, all Mac iCloud services are syncing services, not backup services so every change you make on any device (addition, deletion or edit) is made on all devices - the only iCloud back up service is iCloud backup for IOS

If you use iCloud Drive here is an iCloud drive folder on your Mac in the finder which mirrors the content of iCloud drive on iCloud and other devices

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

LN

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 7:59 PM in response to tide fan

there is no iCloud backup for Macs, all Mac iCloud services are syncing services, not backup services so every change you make on any device (addition, deletion or edit) is made on all devices - the only iCloud back up service is iCloud backup for IOS

If you use iCloud Drive here is an iCloud drive folder on your Mac in the finder which mirrors the content of iCloud drive on iCloud and other devices

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

LN

May 29, 2018 8:04 PM in response to tide fan

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mobile Documents. Are you files there?

May 29, 2018 8:04 PM in response to LarryHN

Yes, after I posted the question, I realized my documents were saved to iCloud Drive, not iCloud backup. I was able to move the files back to my Mac and turned off iCloud Drive for my documents and desktop. Originally I thought iCloud drive would just save a backup copy of my documents, but it moved all my documents to iCloud drive. Thank you for your help!

Retaining files on hard drive when using iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.