Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help removing ghost guest login

As some of us experience from time to time, I had a guest login appear on its own. I disabled it, but then (in hindsight) stupidly went back in, randomly changed the guest user settings and then disabled it again. In the middle of doing that, the computer wasn't happy and shut down preferences. So I opened it again, disabled the guest user and rebooted my mac. When I did, there was a guest login. I looked at the guest user profile, it's disabled. Rebooted, guest login was still there. So I enabled the guest user profile, rebooted and had TWO guest user profiles. Disabled the only guest user, rebooted and still have a guest login. When I go to Finder, there is no guest user shown.

So, where is the guest login located (behind the scenes) and how do I remove this ghost login?

Thanks for the help in advance.

iMac

Posted on May 26, 2018 11:29 AM

12 replies

May 27, 2018 6:48 AM in response to Eric Root

So I have no Guest user enabled:

User uploaded file

However, when I turn on the computer, there's a Guest login on the login screen. I need to get rid of that Guest login as it's not a valid login .. no Guest login is enabled.

I've tried the disable Find my Mac .. that didn't work.

Is it possible to change back prior to the Guest login showing up by using via Time Machine?

May 27, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Eric Root

The login screen has an actual Guest login. I've enabled the Guest user shown in the picture above and then actually

have 2 Guest users shown at login.

Looking in Finder, I have myself as the admin, then the named users who have rights and a shared folder.

User uploaded file

That said, as I've been searching for an answer, even with the Guest profile enabled, Finder doesn't show Guest in this list.

Jun 2, 2018 6:03 AM in response to Eric Root

I have no idea what was going on.

The iCloud wasn't selected on either device.

I always turn off the Mac when I'm not using it.

All of this happened this morning:

Did a sync .. iCal was still only syncing from the Mac to the iPhone, not vice versa.

I had previously read an old post about someone power cycling their iPhone and that took care of the problem.

So I did one power cycle and one reset on the iPhone.

Did another sync and then .. the iPhone was syncing to the Mac but not vice versa .. ?!?

So simply randomly trying something, I went to Info and rather than syncing All Calendars, I selected only the Home calendar which is where I had placed a test calendar entry on both devices .. I also unselected the don't sync events older than ____ days which I had at 4000 days (ensuring the last 10 years are sync'd .. just a number I selected years ago).

I tried the sync .. it sync'd both directions. ?!?, but in a good way.

I took it back to all calendars, deleted one device's test entry on the other device, sync'd .. it was gone on both .. tried the other direction .. gone on both. Now everything is working properly.

I realize these are just better versions of a PC and we know PCs have LOTS of glitches, but it still just makes me shake my head sometimes .. to think, we run our lives with these things.

Anyway, if nothing else, your input helps bring up other ideas. So again, thank you for your help. Have a good weekend.

Jun 2, 2018 9:54 AM in response to takom

Try the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 1, 2018 11:20 AM in response to takom

I've turned the iPhone iCloud off and back on

You are welcome. I'm not sure I can be of much help with this problem. When you did the above, did you make sure iCloud Calendar syncing was turned off? Is this a new problem possibly triggered by an iTunes update? Have you checked iTunes to make sure Calendar syncing isn't set to iCloud? The standard quit and reopen iTunes? Possibly try a computer restart?

I don't think reauthorizing the computer will help. I'm not familiar with the Terminal commands.

Try the Safe Mode to see if it will sync.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 2, 2018 6:07 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

I hindsight I'm fairly sure this was either directly related to a website that downloaded demo to my computer OR due to my trying to delete the related files. It was supposed to have an uninstall for the demo but didn't .. so I manually deleted what I thought was related and that's when everything started to glitch.

So I tried your Safe Mode idea. The ghost Guest login was still there at startup in Safe Mode. So I restarted the computer, went to look at something in Security and Privacy and saw that my Firewall was turned off and was grayed out when I logged in to turn it back on. So I rebooted the computer, and was able to turn the Firewall on the second time. But at that point I figured there were too many issues so I punted. I restored the computer from the day before everything went squirrelly. It's working properly now. No issues, the firewall is on and there's no ghost Guest login.

I guess the moral of the story is be careful what you delete.

Thank you for your help.

May 31, 2018 6:22 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

So my mac was restored and was working properly .. until I went to sync my iPhone to the Mac.

The computer's calendar does sync properly to the iPhone, but the iPhone calendar won't sync to the computer.

I'm NOT using the iCloud .. I use a wired sync to my computer so I have a 100% backup of the phone.

All the calendars on both devices are turned on. When I tested the sync in both directions, I used the Home calendar .. the test from the Mac to the iPhone worked but the same Home calendar test from the iPhone to the Mac didn't work.

Thus far, I've turned the iPhone iCloud off and back on. I've gone to Library/Calendars and deleted the calendar cache files (4 total). I deleted two pending events from Library/Calendars/Pending Events. I clicked iTunes sync to replace the calendar on the iPhone when doing one of my many sync's I've tried. I reset my Trusted computers in the iPhone and sync'd again.

I haven't tried reauthorizing the computer (not sure that would do anything). I haven't tried one I read about that has you go to Terminal and delete the sync history (the directions didn't state what happens when you do that).

There are several posts talking about this exact sync issue, but they aren't current and don't help.

So, what do I need to do to get my iPhone calendar to sync to my Mac calendar?

Again, thank you for your help.

Help removing ghost guest login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.