Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync my music from iMac to iPad/iPhone

Have have 215 albums on my iMac (OS High Sierra 10.13.4), but only the music that I purchased through Apple Music Store shows up on my iPad mini and iPhone 7 Plus. How can I sync to my hand-held devices?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on May 26, 2018 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 9:21 AM

Hey gerti45,

It sounds like you're wanting to sync your music on your iMac to your other devices. I'll be happy to help out with this.

You'll want to make sure that iCloud Music Library is toggled on for your iMac, so the music can sync to your other devices. Here's how to turn on iCloud Music Library for your Mac:

On your Mac or PC

1. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.User uploaded file
  2. On the General tab, select iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  3. Click OK.

There's also some other helpful additional information, if you still are unable to see your content on all of your devices:

If you don't see your content on all of your devices

On the computer that contains your original music library, make sure that you're signed in to iTunes with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and have iCloud Music Library turned on. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.

Make sure that that you have the latest version of iOS, macOS, and iTunes on your devices in order to sign in with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music.

Turn on iCloud Music Library - Apple Support
Let us know if that works out for you. Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 9:21 AM in response to gerti45

Hey gerti45,

It sounds like you're wanting to sync your music on your iMac to your other devices. I'll be happy to help out with this.

You'll want to make sure that iCloud Music Library is toggled on for your iMac, so the music can sync to your other devices. Here's how to turn on iCloud Music Library for your Mac:

On your Mac or PC

1. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.User uploaded file
  2. On the General tab, select iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  3. Click OK.

There's also some other helpful additional information, if you still are unable to see your content on all of your devices:

If you don't see your content on all of your devices

On the computer that contains your original music library, make sure that you're signed in to iTunes with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and have iCloud Music Library turned on. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.

Make sure that that you have the latest version of iOS, macOS, and iTunes on your devices in order to sign in with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music.

Turn on iCloud Music Library - Apple Support
Let us know if that works out for you. Take care!

May 28, 2018 10:29 AM in response to Joseph_S.

This does does work for me an I’m subscribed to Apple Music. I have iPad Pro and iPhone X all with up to date software. This is so frustrating. 😠 I can’t tell you how many forum posts and other forums I’ve read and many people are having this problem. Seems like every upgrade on iTunes makes it less and less valuable for music storage.

How to sync my music from iMac to iPad/iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.