Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not connecting to computer

So my iPhone 7, completely up to date, is having trouble connecting to my (brand new) MacBook Pro 15inch with touch bar. I am trying to connect it using three different USB cables (all from apple) through the dongle (also brand new) and two of the cables don't register anything, while the third (and the newest) cable prompts the notification that a usb accessory is using too much power thus the port is now disabled. However, having tried with my boyfriend's phone, which is much older and much more beat up, I have encountered no issue. And yet, my phone will charge in my car and with the apple USB cables no problem. So I have now a few questions:

It cannot be the cables because they work with other iPhones

It cannot be my phone because it works with other USB cables

It cannot by my computer or dongle because those are brand spankin new.

So what is causing 2/3 of the cables to not elicit any connection with my phone, and why is the other 1/3 prompting the "USB accessories disabled" notification?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 26, 2018 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2018 6:02 PM

I suggest taking the computer, dongle and phone to an Apple store and see what they can come up with. There's no charge for diagnosis, and at least you will then know where you stand. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies

May 26, 2018 5:20 PM in response to bananzabob

As a start, inspect and clean the lightning port on the phone.

Have you ever charged the phone with a "brand x" USB power source that is not certified as Made for iPhone? Some of these, especially car chargers, can damage the charging circuit in the phone. One possible effect of Tristar(U2) chip damage is excessive current drain when charging.

Here's my iPhone 7 Plus story: About 6 months ago my phone stopped charging. I tried 4 Apple USB power sources; nothing worked. All of them charged my iPad just fine. I tried 5 Apple Lightning cables. All of them charged my iPad just fine. ONE of them charged the phone. The other 4 did not. I tried every combination of 4 chargers and 5 cables. Regardless of which charger I used only one of my cables charged the phone. I made a genius bar appointment and took in the chargers and the cables, and demonstrated to the tech. He cleaned the Lightning port (I had already). All 4 chargers and 5 cables worked on his phone. His cable did NOT work in my phone. A cable he borrowed from another tech did not work in my phone; just the one cable of mine did. He shrugged and replaced my phone under my AppleCare+ warranty. So it's possible you have a related problem.

iPhone not connecting to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.