Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match is downsampling my library

I am curious to know if anyone else is experiencing this rather unsettling issue with iTunes and iTunes Match.

I have loaded 150GB of music to my MacBookPro directly from CD's I own at 320kbps. To be clear these are all songs from physical discs I own and are not "downloaded" from iTunes store.

The other day on Shuffle mode iTunes played the _censored_ (ie: "clean") version of Cee Lo Green "F*#K You." I do NOT own this version and have never had this "clean" version in my possession. I only have the original "explicit" version from the CD. I called iTunes support to inform them iTunes Match had censored a song from my library and downloaded it to my computer while removing the explicit version. They had no explanation.

I then examined my entire library of songs on my MacBookPro (where the CDs were used to load) and THOUSANDS of songs were no longer at 320kbps but now were at 256kbps. This means iTunes Match "uploaded" my library from the MacBookPro and then"matched" and "downloaded" inferior versions at lower bit rates back ONTO my MacBookPro (replacing most of my 320kbps songs). There are some albums where all songs are now 256, there are some albums where one or two songs remain 320, and there are other albums where all songs remain at 320. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why the tracks are downsampled.

This access to my private library and subsequent altering of my library was done without any notification or permission. Apple literally changed data ON my computer without asking.

Having spent over 90 minutes with multiple AppleCare reps... no one had any experience with such an issue and could not offer a reason for the downsampling.

On one level, this is a breach of trust and fraudulent.

On another level, it is a huge frustration that will require re-loading of THOUSANDS of songs.

Has anyone else noticed similar changes with their iTunes music library?

Any help is much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 16GB RAM

Posted on May 26, 2018 6:42 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 28, 2018 3:34 AM in response to Mario Jr

I have both iTunes Match and Apple Music, and I backup my library in such a way that I can see when there are any changes in the source folder before committing an update to backup. I haven't noticed any, but as I say occasionally people do report issues for which there seems to be no logical explanation. I'm not discounting your observation, but iTunes shouldn't be able to downsample your library in situ. I cannot think of a mechanism for it which doesn't involve removing downloads and then downloading matched copies from the cloud. The clean vs. explicit issue really shouldn't happen either but that at least is a known problem with iTunes Match which is why I don't recommend anyone use it for backup or library transfer.

If you're using Time Machine you ought to be able to restore the precise state of the library and all media files to the moment before this corruption happened, assuming you can identify it by looking at the sample sizes of some files in the backup data. If you simply have a snapshot of the media files and not the database then restoring might be a little more complicated, particularly if you have had MP3 files replaced with AACs. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for a way to revert to a recent version of your database.

tt2

May 26, 2018 7:17 PM in response to Mario Jr

Not seen it myself, but there is the occasional report of unexpected changes such as media missing after syncing an empty device. Has any of your content show up with the cloud logo when you didn't remove the download? Did you download it if that happened? Ideally you would have taken a complete backup of the library before you signed up for iTunes Match.

tt2

May 27, 2018 4:11 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2,

thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue; i appreciate your input.

to answer to your questions:

yes, i always have backups... so, my entire music library (at 320kbps) is on a backup drive. no, items were missing when syncing to an empty device--as this step was never done because i am using iTunes Match. the focus of my issue is with the content on my macbookpro. so, nothing appeared with a missing cloud icon. instead, all music was shown as "matched" or "uploaded." (and, in both cases, the 256kbps issue was present).

May 28, 2018 4:12 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

thanks again for the further detail related to your setup. i agree, the fact itunes/itunes match uploaded my 320 files and then downloaded back to my mbp at 256 is very unusual. while i do use TM for backups, i won't use it to correct the issue i have been experiencing with itunes.... as, whenever i load new content to my itunes library i drag/drop the new content to a dedicated ssd (not a tm module). so, to resolve the 256 issue i'll simply replace my entire itunes folder on my mbp with the one from the backup ssd. that way ssd to ssd should only take about 10 minutes. i could then put a clock on it to see when and if the "downsampling" problem repeats itself. on the downside, while super convenient way to replace the itunes library, it _will_ completely gink up my next tm backup :-) oh well.

thank you again for your input.

iTunes match is downsampling my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.