Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth not working properly after update

After updating to 10.13.4 on my iMac, wireless keyboard and magic trackpad work only if connected with the cable (bluetooth not working).

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 27, 2018 12:42 AM

2 replies

May 28, 2018 1:04 PM in response to martip

Hello martip.

If I'm understanding correctly, since updating your Mac to 10.13.4, the Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad do not work unless plugged in with a cable. I will be glad to help.

Let's start by disconnecting any 3rd party external devices then restart your Mac. After restarting and your Mac and you are still having trouble, try the steps below:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Cheers.

May 28, 2018 11:36 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hello alex_h1.

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I already tried everything you suggested. I also used the "hidden" debug Bluetooth menu (Option + Shift) to reset the Bluetooth module... but still nothing.

The radio is working, because various BT and BLE devices are detected. But the pairing never happens.

Now I have both the keyboard and the trackpad plugged in with the lightning cable. They show up in the BT devices and they're functioning properly (so they're not broken). But as soon as I unplug the cables, they stop working immediately.

Everything has been working fine for years, until I went through the 10.13.4 upgrade. It really seems a software issue to me, unless both radios of the two devices died simultaneously in that exact moment :-)

I really don't know what else I should try. I was just hoping to have missed something obvious...

Thanks anyway.

Bluetooth not working properly after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.