Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: 2012 macbook pro running painfully slowly

...and getting worse. Tried virus/malware scan. Could it be an aging and dying HD?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 11.0.2

Posted on

May 27, 2018 6:56 AM in response to grahamfromraleigh In response to grahamfromraleigh

It could be many things. Please download and run EtreCheck, created by one of own colleagues here in ASC. It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

May 27, 2018 6:56 AM

Reply Helpful

May 28, 2018 1:19 AM in response to grahamfromraleigh In response to grahamfromraleigh

I had this problem with my 2010 unit and found that, unlike the newer MacBook, the RAM can be easily upgraded. Your MacBook was probably shipped with 2 x 2GB cards in the RAM slots (click on the Apple logo top left of screen and hit "About this Mac") This can easily be upgraded to 2 x 4GB cards and the difference is amazing. In my view Apple have taken a backward step on its latest machines by hard wiring the RAM making it impossible to upgrade.

May 28, 2018 1:19 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: grahamfromraleigh

Question: 2012 macbook pro running painfully slowly