Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding stolen iPhone

If a thief gets a hold of your iPhone. If you set it to lost mode; all the thief has to do is connect it to iTunes and use recovery mode and he will wipe your device and be able to bypass lost mode and find my iPhone ?

Is this correct ?

Posted on May 27, 2018 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 8:48 AM

Anyone can always erase an iOS device with iTunes and recovery mode. That will erase it and break the connection for find my iPhone, so remote tracking will no longer work. Restoring from recovery mode is an essential trouble shooting mechanism and the only means of recovering a disabled device

However, as long as you leave the device listed amongst your devices at your www.icloud.com account, then Activation Lock will prevent anyone from actually using your device.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Find my iphone has never been more than a convenience feature to help owners find lost devices. It was never an anti-theft nor anti-crime feature. Activation Lock is Apple’s anti-theft feature.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 8:48 AM in response to slingingshot15

Anyone can always erase an iOS device with iTunes and recovery mode. That will erase it and break the connection for find my iPhone, so remote tracking will no longer work. Restoring from recovery mode is an essential trouble shooting mechanism and the only means of recovering a disabled device

However, as long as you leave the device listed amongst your devices at your www.icloud.com account, then Activation Lock will prevent anyone from actually using your device.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Find my iphone has never been more than a convenience feature to help owners find lost devices. It was never an anti-theft nor anti-crime feature. Activation Lock is Apple’s anti-theft feature.

Finding stolen iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.