Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Android user

Hi

This is my first experience with iPad and apple product in general and so far has been so frustrating . I like the way my asus pc is so simple to use and now on Ipad everything seams to be difficult. I want to create a folder to put all docs, pictures and music files related to and article I am writing and another folder to put screenshots and docs related to jobs interview. Or folder to devide all my travel pic. Sort my data in the way I like and think basically. So far I have failed miserably. Do you have any suggestions or liks for new users? So far my experience with apple has been a disaster.

Posted on May 27, 2018 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 10:18 AM

iOS (the operating system that runs on an iPad) does not have a file system in the traditional sense. So will not have any direct way of creating folders or managing files like other devices do.

All files must live inside an App. There are Apps in the store that act as file managers and can let you create folders and manage files closer to how you would on a computer.

I like Documents by Readdle and File Manager personally:

File Manager & Browser on the App Store

Documents by Readdle on the App Store

Beyond that, you can of course open the default Files App and create a folder in one of the locations offered there. If you choose the "On My iPad" location it will show folders for Apps that the Files App can access and display their files.

If you are using say Pages, or even Microsoft Word for example, you can then create folders inside their App folders and place any type of file you wish there.

See here for how to use the Files App: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 10:18 AM in response to fragoa

iOS (the operating system that runs on an iPad) does not have a file system in the traditional sense. So will not have any direct way of creating folders or managing files like other devices do.

All files must live inside an App. There are Apps in the store that act as file managers and can let you create folders and manage files closer to how you would on a computer.

I like Documents by Readdle and File Manager personally:

File Manager & Browser on the App Store

Documents by Readdle on the App Store

Beyond that, you can of course open the default Files App and create a folder in one of the locations offered there. If you choose the "On My iPad" location it will show folders for Apps that the Files App can access and display their files.

If you are using say Pages, or even Microsoft Word for example, you can then create folders inside their App folders and place any type of file you wish there.

See here for how to use the Files App: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 27, 2018 10:25 AM in response to fragoa

Other than the new Files app, iOS does NOT allow you to create a hierarchical file/file folder system and iOS DOES NOT give any user access to iOS’s underlying file system, either!

There are some third party apps for documents/note taking and for photo/images to organise things into folders but these capabilities are only available on a per app basis.

An iPad in NOT a full blown computer/laptop. It is a more simplified, scaled down mobile device and OS.

There are many things that work and are done differently from a normal computer and you need to make the necessary work flow alterations/accomodations to use an iDevice/iPad.

You may want to familiarize yourself with how an iPad works

iPad User Guide for iOS 11.3 by Apple Inc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-11-3/id1263310093?mt=11

If after getting more familiar wIth your new iPad, you feel an iPad does not work for you, you have 14 days to return this iPad for a full refund.

You might want to look at the more expensive tablet/laptop combo Microsoft Surface line of tablet computers, instead

Good Luck to You!

Android user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.