Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cmd-c/x on High Sierra

How can I use a keyboard in a finder to perform the following actions without touching either a mouse or a touchpad:

cut (option is greyed out in edit, shortcut cmd-X not working either)

copy (sometimes I get a ding sound when trying to perform this action)

open a file (when pressing Enter - I can only rename the file instead of opening it - for me it's very counterintuitive)

will appreciate some help.

thanks.

MacBook Air, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 27, 2018 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 2:25 PM

My problems were:

Cmd-x does not work in finder as a cut option.

Enter does not open files in finder (after switching from Win it's a bit strange).

Cmd-c looks like working now in the finder, I cannot understand why it hadn't

after several trials and errors this is what I've discovered:

shortcuts for cutting: cmd-c BUT instead of cmd-v need to press cmd-alt-v to paste and delete the original... what is the role of greyed out cmd-x in the edit menu in this case?

open file from finder: cmd-down

Ergonomically speaking, in my view, these solutions are not the best. Instead of pressing 2 or 1 button need to press 2 or 3 buttons.

like for getting Delete function by pressing fn-backspace (I often confuse it with alt-backspace, which deletes the entire word instead 😕)

I think the problem is resolved for me now. Hope the post could help someone else.

thanks for the reply.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 2:25 PM in response to Kappy

My problems were:

Cmd-x does not work in finder as a cut option.

Enter does not open files in finder (after switching from Win it's a bit strange).

Cmd-c looks like working now in the finder, I cannot understand why it hadn't

after several trials and errors this is what I've discovered:

shortcuts for cutting: cmd-c BUT instead of cmd-v need to press cmd-alt-v to paste and delete the original... what is the role of greyed out cmd-x in the edit menu in this case?

open file from finder: cmd-down

Ergonomically speaking, in my view, these solutions are not the best. Instead of pressing 2 or 1 button need to press 2 or 3 buttons.

like for getting Delete function by pressing fn-backspace (I often confuse it with alt-backspace, which deletes the entire word instead 😕)

I think the problem is resolved for me now. Hope the post could help someone else.

thanks for the reply.

cmd-c/x on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.