Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore a MacBook Pro that is locked

When I try to boot up my MacBook Pro I get a large lock symbol asking for my password. I have put in every password I know, and it won't work. I am on my Mac Mini, so I know mu Apple password. Anyone know what is going on here?

Posted on May 27, 2018 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 7:42 PM

Lock icon

If you set a firmware password on your Mac, you might see a lock icon at startup if you try to start your Mac from another volume like an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter your firmware password to continue starting up.

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 7:42 PM in response to bearls1017

Lock icon

If you set a firmware password on your Mac, you might see a lock icon at startup if you try to start your Mac from another volume like an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter your firmware password to continue starting up.

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

May 27, 2018 8:52 PM in response to bearls1017

Hi bearls1017,

If the below screen is what your Mac is displaying at startup, please see leroydouglas's post.

User uploaded file

If this is not the screen you're seeing when you try to boot your Mac, posting a photo of the screen you're seeing would be much appreciated.

EDIT: A firmware password can be set in such a way so that it is required on all startups, even if you don't attempt to invoke Startup Manager or boot Recovery Mode. Configuring the firmware password this way, however, requires use of the command-line tool firmwarepasswd.

Restore a MacBook Pro that is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.