Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina 2013 Dead ??

Dear friends,

Yesterday I was sending an e-mail and maybe the power cable was minorilly moved, while charging. Mail.app window created a weird distortion and the whole system froze, so I hard shut down the Mac.

After this, I cannot boot my Mac ! I get login page, but the progress bar, after I enter my password, sticks somewhere in the middle.

Tried PRAM, SMC reset.

Tried safe boot, the only difference was that the status bar fills whole, but still won’t boot.

Tried recovery and internet recovery, still won’t enter those modes.

Tried cmd+S

Tried cmd+V so I can enter some commands I found on other discussions, but the terminal won’t let me enter commands, giving a rejected input sound feedback.

Run hardware test and detected the error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)

I researched on that error and found out that it may be or it may not be a problem !

So, my question is, is there anything else to do ? Maybe try to boot the drive from another system and clean it up or accept defeat and take it to Apple. Any diagnosis ??

Thanks for any input

Posted on May 27, 2018 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 6:02 AM

An update:

After taking the Mac to Apple they said it was a Logic Board issue and thus it should be replaced.

The cost was very high to proceed to replacement, so I tried other repair courses of action.

After several techs' examination, found someone who said he could fix the machine by using a technique called "Video card reflow". It is basically heating the logic board. That technique worked and got my Mac back working !

He also clarified that this solution is not a permanent solution and I should expect my Mac to fail me again in 6-12 months. Works for me and that's why I let him perform the repair.

If anyone confronts similar situation, you should exploit every Apple warranty possibility. Also note that Apple techs are not always aware of all replacement plans and warranty possibilities.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2018 6:02 AM in response to islane

An update:

After taking the Mac to Apple they said it was a Logic Board issue and thus it should be replaced.

The cost was very high to proceed to replacement, so I tried other repair courses of action.

After several techs' examination, found someone who said he could fix the machine by using a technique called "Video card reflow". It is basically heating the logic board. That technique worked and got my Mac back working !

He also clarified that this solution is not a permanent solution and I should expect my Mac to fail me again in 6-12 months. Works for me and that's why I let him perform the repair.

If anyone confronts similar situation, you should exploit every Apple warranty possibility. Also note that Apple techs are not always aware of all replacement plans and warranty possibilities.

May 28, 2018 7:01 AM in response to islane

Update:

Created a bootable thumb drive for High Sierra, it booted successfully. I run disk utility, erased disk, repaired it and started installing High Sierra. The installation process was stuck however when Mac restarted to continue installation from the drive. Right now, my SSD is named macOS High Sierra Installation, I cannot boot from thumb drive nor internet recovery and in addition I installed in an external drive partition High Sierra from my iMac and tried to boot it from my MBPr but not even that worked.

I hope the new file system is preventing my Mac from booting the external drive, because otherwise it seems like the hardware problem is not contained to the SSD.

Forgot to mention that MBPr was running macOS Sierra.

Any inputs ???

MacBook Pro Retina 2013 Dead ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.