Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Photos

While transferring photos from my iPhone (taken with said iPhone) I came across a significant problem. When I connected the phone to my MacBook Air, the default Photos application did not detect a number of photos (about 40%).

When I connected the same phone to a computer running Windows10, the same photos were missing from DCIM catalogues (100APPLE….105APPLE).

Some of the photos that do not show up on the computers I managed to send to myself via e-mail and copy them to my PC, as well as send them to my MacBook using AirDrop.

I then turned off iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone. After that, the photos that could not be seen on the computers vanished from my iPhone as well.

Turning iCloud Photo Library back on on the computer did not cause the photos to reappear on my iPhone. The missing photos are not in my iCloud, which, at the time when the Library was turned off, reached its maximum capacity of 5GB. Buying additional space in iCloud has not solved the problem.

The photos are of great importance to me since they document the first year of my Son’s life. I would like to ask for your help in recovering them.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 28, 2018 4:14 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 29, 2018 8:50 AM in response to AKroliko

Hello AKroliko,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with missing photos, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the article below for some helpful troubleshooting steps.
Get help with missing photos - Apple Support

If you've tried all of these steps already, you may want to reach out to Apple Support directly for additional help.
Contact - Official Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

May 31, 2018 1:13 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you for the answer.

Sombody give me advice thanks to which I enabled iCloud Photo Library, ticked "Download and keep originals", switch off mobile data and photos started to reappear! Iphone have been actualizing photos 2 days. Now in default Photos application is no message (about actualizing). Is there any chance that it will reactivate acttualizing? Unfortunatelly half of the missing photos didn't reapear.:(

Do you think that I should wait and don't do new photos because they can override vanished photos? Or they are in some part of iCloud that is inaccessible for me?

I contacted with Apple support several times. You can contact with them only by phone. First consultant said that it's impossible to recover those vanished photos, because they had been in a queue and after disabling iCloud Photo Library they had been deleted. Second consultant said that disabling iCloud Photo Library hadn't caused the photos to be deleted but only to stop sending them to iCloud. He couldn't see vanished photos (those in the queue) in iCloud and couldn't explain to me what happened. Third consultant (after your advice) said that photos were in the recover process. They all were nice and tried to help but I have a feeling that they don't now what is going on.

Missing Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.