Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Macbook air wont log in after sleep - since updating to high sierra 10.13.4

Everytime I come back to my computer after it has been to sleep it wont let me log back in. I put my password in and it doesn't do anything. I have to then power off then power back on and fully log back in which is very time consuming.

I have already tried doing a SMC and PRAM reset

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jun 13, 2018 3:08 AM in response to tarafromthe gardens In response to tarafromthe gardens

Hello Tara,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble logging into your Mac after waking it from sleep mode, and I have some information that may help.

In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in both safe mode and a new user account. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, or a user specific issue. Safe mode may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Jun 13, 2018 3:08 AM in response to tarafromthe gardens In response to tarafromthe gardens

Hello Tara,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble logging into your Mac after waking it from sleep mode, and I have some information that may help.

In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in both safe mode and a new user account. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, or a user specific issue. Safe mode may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Jun 13, 2018 3:08 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jun 14, 2018 4:30 AM in response to sterling r In response to sterling r

HI Sterling,

I tested this issue and it occurred in the new testing user that I created also.

I have worked out that when my computer goes into a brief sleep eg. when I close my laptop for 10 minutes, I can open it and log back in, but if it has gone into a full sleep it goes back to wont log back in.

I have also noticed that often it takes me back to a log in screen with an old admin (was my husbands laptop initially but I have deleted that account and it doesn't appear in the users part of system preferences. It just freezes when I try to log in. Then when I have to fully power down and restart it makes me log in first as that old admin then can get onto my account.

Any thoughts?

Jun 14, 2018 4:30 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tarafromthe gardens

Question: Macbook air wont log in after sleep - since updating to high sierra 10.13.4