Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple get viruses?

OK lets get down to the nuts and bolts. Apple advertises that it does not get viruses and I have heard of no-one except I am told by my Mac I have 3. Then Mackeeper keeps popping up and it wants be to buy the software for something Apple advertised does not happen.

I suggest you Apple keeps to its advertising and provides me with a free solution not an expensive piece of software to remove viruses which Apple was adament that they don't get.So I want free software to clean up my Mac as its not even a year old. yet.

I will go public with this if Apple does not sort me out as it is false advertising and I cannot keep Mackeeper from popping up.

Regards

Les

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.4.3) , none

Posted on May 28, 2018 10:35 AM

8 replies

May 28, 2018 10:46 AM in response to lesleynunu

1. Those messages are generally scams. They are not from Apple and neither is MacKeeper. These are 3rd party Apps trying to get you to buy their software. Apple has nothing to do with it.

2. Mac OS already has built in software to prevent virus infections, malicious software and other threats. Viruses for Mac are so few and far between its unlikely you'd ever actually encounter one at this point.

Read here for what Apple already does:

macOS - Security - Apple

3. What exactly do you plan on going public with? That there are scams out there? How is apple supposed to sort out something they have no control over? There's scams for every platform. It's up to you not to fall for them. Everybody is aware of this already. You are not going to tell the world anything they don't already know.

4. Who do you think you are threatening. Scams and fake virus alerts are a fact or internet life. Apple is not responsible for keeping you away from them.

You can try to run Malwarebytes for Mac to check for any potential adware you may have installed that is causing these popups to appear.

Malwarebytes for Mac—Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

May 28, 2018 10:52 AM in response to lesleynunu

lesleynunu wrote:

Apple advertises that it does not get viruses

Please provide a citation to an ad where Apple says their products don't get viruses.

Then Mackeeper keeps popping up and it wants be to buy the software for something Apple advertised does not happen.

So, you believe MacKeeper's sleazy ads? What do they have to do with Apple?

And, again, where does Apple advertise that their products can't get viruses? Generally, they don't, but, nothing is impossible.

May 28, 2018 11:55 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

A) It doesn't say Mac's can't get viruses. It says that the PC viruses don't affect Macs. It also didn't say that it's impossible. And B), as you pointed out, it was more than ten years ago. The OP said "advertises", the present progressive.

Any operating system can be vulnerable to various exploits. Macs have come down with malware or other exploits through Flash or Word. I've only heard of one honest to goodness OSX virus/worm.

I don't believe the OP is going to be happy unless Macs are totally bulletproof, which is an unreasonable standard. Of course Mackeeper is notorious for its ads and the hard sell they give.

May 28, 2018 6:55 PM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

IdrisSeabright wrote:

A) It doesn't say Mac's can't get viruses. It says that the PC viruses don't affect Macs. It also didn't say that it's impossible. And B), as you pointed out, it was more than ten years ago. The OP said "advertises", the present progressive.

Any operating system can be vulnerable to various exploits. Macs have come down with malware or other exploits through Flash or Word. I've only heard of one honest to goodness OSX virus/worm.

I don't believe the OP is going to be happy unless Macs are totally bulletproof, which is an unreasonable standard. Of course Mackeeper is notorious for its ads and the hard sell they give.

I am well aware that any operating system can, with enough money and/or enough brute force, be compromised. But, you've apparently missed my point. Apple has never said that it is impossible for their products to get a virus or malware. So, the OP's instance that Apple has advertised them thusly is simply not true.

Why does Apple get viruses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.