Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US Holidays calendar is broken. Why?

I use iCal for work, but it's growing steadily less useful for that purpose. Why not group US Holidays into four separate calendars, then let users decide which are relevant to them?

US Federal Holidays

Exactly what you'd think—only official government holidays, when banks, schools, etc., are closed.

US Secular Days of Note

Not actual holidays, but dates people might not want to forget, regardless of race or creed: First Day of Daylight Saving Time, Tax Day, Election Day, etc. A case could be made for including Mother's Day and Father's Day as well.

US Non-Federal Religious and Cultural Holidays

Lunar New Year, Good Friday, Easter, Orthodox Easter, Passover, Holi, Eid al-Adha, Juneteenth, Kwanzaa, Ashura, etc. As the US becomes more multicultural, this calendar will grow increasingly (and frustratingly) dense. If you observe one of these holidays or work with someone who does, you need to have it on your calendar, but if not, you probably don't.

US Garbage Holidays

Stuff that can be safely ignored: Groundhog Day, April Fools' Day (I personally observe this religiously, but c'mon), Cinco de Mayo (a feast day for local news anchors, but not a major holiday in Mexico), Flag Day, etc. Don't worry about missing St. Patrick's Day; green beer will always find a way.

Or you could include everything and just make the calendar customizable, so people can delete what they don't need. You're a big tech company. Surely you can figure it out.

//

PS Regardless of one's religious sympathies, can we agree that the following message should never appear on an immovable date on the calendar: "The exact date of this holiday is difficult to predict precisely; this is just an approximation." You might as well have a little animated cloud hovering about, shooting holiday bolts at random dates in the general vicinity. It would be equally useless but a lot more fun.

Posted on May 28, 2018 9:59 AM

7 replies

May 28, 2018 10:22 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks, but "many thousands" of pre-existing calendars compounds the problem without solving it. iCalshare calendars are buggy. I've tried a couple that produce error messages and another that doesn't fix the original problem of including dross.

I posted here because giving Apple feedback as a single user doesn't get results. Addressing it to Apple was more a rhetorical flourish than anything else. I was hoping to get a suggestion along the lines of yours, only suggesting an avenue I hadn't already tried.

May 28, 2018 10:26 AM in response to biggravy

biggravy wrote:

Thanks, but "many thousands" of pre-existing calendars compounds the problem without solving it. iCalshare calendars are buggy. I've tried a couple that produce error messages and another that doesn't fix the original problem of including dross.

Then find one from a different source. That was just one possibility.

I posted here because giving Apple feedback as a single user doesn't get results. Addressing it to Apple was more a rhetorical flourish than anything else. I was hoping to get a suggestion along the lines of yours, only suggesting an avenue I hadn't already tried.

If you were the only person who posted to the Feedback page on the issue, it probably wouldn't result in a change. However, if enough people do, it may. Posting here will not motivate Apple to change at all.

There are no other options. You either use the holiday calendar provided or find another one that better meets your needs.

May 28, 2018 11:59 AM in response to biggravy

Let me make a suggestion: Create these calendars yourself, and publish them as subscription calendars. I subscribe to several calendars that I pay for; you could charge a small amount for them (the ones I subscribe to are 99¢ to $1.99). This is a great way to find out how important they are to other people. If you make money it would prove your point.

I do have 2 comments on your suggestions: There are no official government holidays in the United States. Neither Congress nor the executive have the power to create official holidays. The ones that are generally celebrated are by agreement, not "official", and not all are even observed everywhere (consider the millions of people who have to work in retail today on Memorial Day, a day which should be to honor those who have given their lives for their country rather than spending the time in sale after sale). The closest we have are days off given to Federal government employees, and only apply to them. While many states also follow the Federal Employee Day Off list, and many (but not all) banks and businesses do, not all of them are celebrated in every state. For example, Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, which is on the Federal employee days off list is not celebrated in several states. Neither is Washington's birthday, as it includes Lincoln's Birthday when called President's Day. OTOH, most states celebrate the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday, but it is not available to Federal employees. And contrary to a lot of expectations, Good Friday and Easter are not on the Federal Employee days off list. So you need to be more precise on what you mean as an "official" government holiday, as there are none.

Regarding your observation that the start of Ramadan is labeled as The exact date of this holiday is difficult to predict precisely I agree that it is badly worded, but what it really means is the exact start of Ramadan is interpreted differently by different sects, as explained by my Muslim business partner. The date on the calendar this year is actually a day early for some observers in the US, but it would be correct in Mecca. As the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, with each month starting on the new moon, the start of Ramadan is defined as the first sighting of a sliver of the crescent moon, but is that the local crescent moon, or the crescent moon over Mecca? So the only real imprecision is based on where you are located and which interpretation you follow. The date in the Apple calendar is the earliest it can start, which is a reasonable interpretation, given that anyone who plans to observe Ramadan will know what adjustment to make. The Jewish calendar, also a lunar calendar, has a similar problem with the start of many holidays, but has a different solution: If you are not located in or near Jerusalem, you celebrate some holidays on 2 days just to be sure. Christian holidays are also ambiguous; Eastern and Roman rites differ on the day of Easter. Coming back to your observation, the label should really be "earliest start of Ramadan." But anyone who celebrates it would know what was meant, anyway.

Jun 9, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I was simply curious as to why Ash Wednesday was omitted.😕 This is the first year I have seen Multi faith observances. I was really just curious because Ash Wednesday was how I always knew when Mardi Gras was! ( Duh! the day before Ash Wednesday!!) Mardi Gras is rarely acknowledged because it is not observed in every state. We here in the New Orleans area observe it as one of our holidays…(banks, local government, schools, etc. are all closed) I can definitely add it myself and have Mardi Gras throws with the dates of Mardi Gras for the next 5 years printed on them! I just wanted to submit my query!

US Holidays calendar is broken. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.