Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Future Hardware Compatibility

Apple has said that High Sierra 10.13.4 is the last macOS that will run 32-bit applications without reservation. I take that to mean that future macOS releases may impair 32-bit app functionality, or at some point, may not allow them to run at all.

Is it reasonable to assume that at some point, Apple hardware may be similarly limited? My main Mac is a mid-2010 MBP, which runs very well and does what I want easily.

It's always easier to replace hardware when one isn't under the gun. Should I begin to plan for hardware replacement?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 28, 2018 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 12:55 PM

If you have a mid-2010 computer, you should be planning for a hardware replacement regardless of any issues with 32-bit apps. But, yes, it's quite reasonable to assume that, at some point, older software will not work on newer hardware. Macs released after the release of High Sierra won't run older versions of macOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 12:55 PM in response to r1100rsl

If you have a mid-2010 computer, you should be planning for a hardware replacement regardless of any issues with 32-bit apps. But, yes, it's quite reasonable to assume that, at some point, older software will not work on newer hardware. Macs released after the release of High Sierra won't run older versions of macOS.

May 28, 2018 1:00 PM in response to r1100rsl

Unlikely.

As long as the Mac can run the OS, the hardware in it will continue to work. As the OS is designed to fully support all the hardware in computers it is designed for specifically.

If your Mac can no longer update to a future macOS version, then the hardware would also not be affected as it would remain on a macOS version that still supports your hardware. .

i.e the Hardware would not in any way be limited or rendered non-functional.

With that said, a mid 2010 Mac is coming up on being 8 year old hardware. So even if future OS versions don't affect it, its still at a point in its life span where you should be starting to consider a replacement anyway.

10 years is about as long as you should expect a computer to keep up with current technologies.

Future Hardware Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.