Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory module crap on MacBook Pro with Retina display

I bought a certified refurbished machine; Turns out Their so called certified machine I purchased over a year ago failed to update to high Sierra. For 7 months I got the runaround from Apple care since they thought it was a a-bug with High sierra. Turned out to be their ****** memory module that was faulty and didn’t realize it was an issue until high Sierra was released 3 months AFTER my warranty expired. They’re telling me the cost is $475 flat rate n repairs or some **** like that and they do not want to resume any responsibility for repairs. Has anyone dealt with this issue ??? And IS ANYONE ELSE TIRED OF THE ******* APPLE EXPERIENCE?!?

iPhone 4

Posted on May 28, 2018 2:26 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 28, 2018 2:41 PM in response to giselita81

Well, let's get some facts before using up all this blanked out language.

Exactly what model/year is the Mac?

How much RAM is installed?

And, exactly what is that $475 for?

You are stating "memory module" - that would be the RAM modules.

That is important because, after 25 years of working with Macs, I've never heard of a RAM chip being the problem in trying to update the OS.

Or did they say that the hard drive is failing? Which is an entirely different matter. All hard drives fail sooner or later.

And, a side observation: since you started a support ticket before your warranty expired, why didn't you reference that when asking for support/service? High Sierra is now just 3 months or so shy of a year old, so it is getting a bit late to make a claim on that. You should have done that last year. But, since it is too late, let's see if we can work on and figure out the problem.

May 29, 2018 7:32 AM in response to babowa

Hey there, sorry for my language; i'm just very frustrated with this. To answer your questions:

this is a MacBook Pro with retina display; early 2015 model. Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 (is this what you were asking about?). I bought the computer refurbished in April 2016 and I believe High Sierra didn't come out until 3 or 4 months after my 1 year warranty expired. I tried to install the updates OS in October 2017 - that's when my first apple care tickets were created.

Every time I try to update the OS, I get an error message "There may be an issue with the memory module" reference code PPM001 or PPM002. There is not apple genius bar where I live so it took a lot of back and forth until I was finally able to go to San Antonio and visit with them in person. I was told, after running more diagnostics that there is definitely a hardware issue with one of the memory modules. The issue is that the memory modules are now fused (?) with the computer's RAM and nothing they could do at the Genius Bar. After talking with Apple care, I was told that the only way for me to fix my computer to to send it to their repair depot and "it will be a flatrate repair that will have to be charged and then once the repair depot takes a look at it they will let you know the exact cost of the repairs." I later inquired about the flat rate and was told: "flat rate charge to send the computer into the depot is going to be approx $475.00 without taxes". Very conveniently, though, I was told at the genius bar my best option is to trade the computer in and that I would get $520 credit for my computer.... how convenient, right? that's why i'm sick of the apple experience - always pushing their products.

I never had any issues with the computer until High Sierra came out so I had no need to make repairs or use the warranty.... until now that I don't have it. Any advice would be welcome.

May 29, 2018 8:13 AM in response to giselita81

The issue is that the memory modules are now fused (?) with the computer's RAM

In that model, the RAM chips (there are no modules or sockets) are soldered directly to the mainboard and cannot be replaced separately.

I was told that the only way for me to fix my computer to to send it to their repair depot and "it will be a flatrate repair that will have to be charged..."

The definition of flat rate repair (especially from the depot) or is that they fix everything that is wrong with your computer for that one flat rate. Elapsed time if parts are available runs about a week on average, depending on parts availability.

Check with them again and be sure you understand what they are proposing. Most Apple repairs are deliberately flat-rate, so that any add-ons (like it takes them way longer than expected) are their problem, not yours.

And as babowa said, remind them that you had a repair ticket on this issue before, while it was still in warranty. the worst they can say is, "that does not apply to this problem".

May 29, 2018 8:28 AM in response to giselita81

Ok, telling us your model explains the rest of your story. Yes, in some newer models, the RAM is no longer a separate chip, but fused/glued to the logic board which is why it is so expensive. I checked the ifixit.com site for parts and they are offered at $500 and up depending on the exact model with you having to do the teardown and install. So, the price quoted to you is fair - that part includes everything = it IS your computer, so to speak. Unfortunately, it also includes the RAM modules, which are not bulletproof and can fail.

Having said all of that, I've never heard of an OS upgrade which fails because of a failed/bad RAM module, but that is what yours says. I would question the Genius Bar on that. Before making a decision, I would take it back to the Genius Bar and also have them run their diagnostic tests on it - pay attention to the results of the RAM modules, logic board, flash storage, and all the ports. If it all passes, I'd consider running it on the current OS (is that 10.12.6 or ??).

So, I take it that you did not start a support ticket until recently (after your warranty expired)? If you did before it expired, bring that up as well during your visit.

Memory module crap on MacBook Pro with Retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.