Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable touch ID warning

Hello, I had to replace the screen on my daughter's iPhone 5s. Unfortunately, the home/touch-id ribbon cable broke when removing the old screen. Of course with the new screen and home button, touch ID doesn't work and that's OK, but when ever I power on the phone it give a warning that it can't enable touch Id. Is there anyway to turn this warning off? It's running IOS version 11.1.2.

Thanks!

Posted on May 28, 2018 5:17 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 28, 2018 5:35 PM in response to y_p_w

My understanding is that there is a unique id with the touch id button tied to the specific phone. Since my button is toast due to the cable break, I believe there is no way to ever have touch id on this phone again. That's OK, at some point I will upgrade the phone and until then, a pass code to unlock works just fine. I was hoping I could get rid of the annoying warning when starting up the phone, but I don't see anything in settings and touch ID is already off.

Thanks for the reply though :-)

May 28, 2018 6:02 PM in response to Peter Pappas

I don't recall if the 5s can be "re-paired" to the logic board. However, there are a series of machines that Apple has that can at least reset a home button/Touch ID to the logic board for some models. It's mentioned in this article where Apple gave access to the repair development lab in Sunnyvale, California.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-repair-exclusive/exclusive-apple-makes- iphone-screen-fixes-easier-as-states-mul…

But the Horizon Machine is needed to remedy the trickiest mishaps, such as when the fingerprint sensor attached to the back of the glass gets damaged when a phone is dropped.

For security, only Apple’s fix-it machine can tell the iPhone’s processor, its silicon brain, to recognize a replacement sensor. Without it, the iPhone won’t unlock with the touch of a finger. Banking apps that require a fingerprint won’t work either, including the Apple Pay digital wallet.

That's why I say perhaps you can ask if Apple might be able to do this. Again, I'm not sure if a 5s is something that they can do or if it was still from the era where Apple only issued complete replacements for any repair.

May 28, 2018 8:09 PM in response to Peter Pappas

If you actually replace the home button with one that does not have Touch ID that warning should disappear. I would also replace the cable.

Apple will normally not work one a device that a 3rd party has opened by you can always ask. They will need to replace the screen as will as the Touch ID and cable. I don't know what the other poster is referring to in doing repairs, they replaced screens going back to the iPhone 3G and headphone jacks. There has been no change in Apple's policy since then not that it really matters to you. Good luck to you and if I were you I would also check the forums over at iFixit with your question.

May 29, 2018 8:37 AM in response to deggie

Thanks for the info, I'll check over at iFixit. I am not that interested in fixing touch ID, it's not really worth it. Apple charges $120 to replace the screen (the phone is not worth much more), I bought the screen on Amazon for $34. I have been replacing the batteries in my family's iPhone for a couple of years so opening them up is usually not a problem. Unfortunately this one slipped a bit when the screen popped up and tore the touch id cable which seems permanently attached to the home button.

How can I disable touch ID warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.