Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing/trimming original source media files.

Is it possible to edit/trim the original source files in FCPX? I have imported several 4k video clips, and in many of them there is footage that I don't need. Given the size of these files it makes sense to me to trim them, but I've not been able to find a way to do that.

Anticipatory thanks...

Posted on May 28, 2018 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 3:27 PM

You cannot trim "in place". You could add a clip to a timeline, export only the parts you want, and then import that back.

Or you could use Quicktime Player to trim the clips, before importing.

Whatever you do, one cannot trim a clip "in place", this always involves saving or exporting a new file.

If you are importing from some cameras or cards (such as AVCHD), you can, in the import window, select just the portion of the clip that you want.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 3:27 PM in response to davem4321

You cannot trim "in place". You could add a clip to a timeline, export only the parts you want, and then import that back.

Or you could use Quicktime Player to trim the clips, before importing.

Whatever you do, one cannot trim a clip "in place", this always involves saving or exporting a new file.

If you are importing from some cameras or cards (such as AVCHD), you can, in the import window, select just the portion of the clip that you want.

Editing/trimming original source media files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.