Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generic PUA GI

How do I manually delete the Generic PUA GI

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9), + Cinema screen

Posted on May 28, 2018 4:24 PM

10 replies

May 29, 2018 5:20 AM in response to Graham Jones3

The solution is to uninstall "Sophos" and never use it, or any other similarly categorized junk on a Mac. Follow its uninstallation instructions.

Please determine if the "AppNOS" process is in fact an active process. To do that, use Activity Monitor—it's in your Mac's Utilities folder. Post a representative screenshot of its contents, similar to the one shown under CPU in How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. To capture, edit (if necessary) and post a screenshot to this site read the Appendix in Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question.

• If the "AppNOS" process or one of its variants are active then I can provide removal instructions that will work.
  • If it is not active then there is nothing else you need to do.

May 29, 2018 7:41 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your response, I have the Activity Monitor running and no process is happening when searching for 'AppNOS' so presumably I have not got a problem. When I first went to Mr Google looking for Generic PUA GI the only relevant answer was from Sophos mentioning how to get rid of it on a Windows machine...nothing about a Mac.

From other responses it seems Sophos isn't necessary on a Mac so I'm considering uninstalling it.

It seems PUA stands for Potentially Unwanted Applications is this correct do you know?

What started my concern was this....

User uploaded file

Many thanks again for your help.

May 29, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Graham Jones3

This isn't the first time Sophos or other Mac AV software has flagged a process inside of a completely legitimate installer as a threat. Like the previous two similar posts I've seen on these forums, it appears to be a mounted .dmg volume named Installer, and the Installer.app within that.

I would assume you know what this installer is and ran Sophos to see if it was "safe". It may think this is a threat because it's part of an installer routine used by many apps. Such as the unwanted InstallMac adware. But it's also used (for one example, anyway), by iBoostUp, which is a completely useless "cleaning" app you can get through the App Store.

In other words, finding AppNOS isn't automatically bad.

Get rid of Sophos.

May 29, 2018 7:31 AM in response to Graham Jones3

Gotcha. Several things occur to me:

1. sounds like the PUA GI is some segment or creation of the Sophos software

2. you can locate support for the Sophos software here: https://support.home.sophos.com/hc/en-us

3. Apple does not recommend running third-party antivirus software on macOS - the operating system already has antivirus software built in

4. Please let me know what you find out about the PUA GI. I'm as curious about this as you are.

Generic PUA GI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.