Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 11.3.1 Music app keeps repeating same song

I move my MP3 music to my iPhone and use Music app to listen to music just like I suspect a ton of people. Ever since updating to ios 11.3 I can't do this any more. It just keeps repeating the same song unless I manually press next. The Music app is broken and in my opinion unusable for anything accept listening to one song. Shuffle will skip to some random song like it's suppose to, but then just keep repeating that song. Also tapping on Shuffle should turn it RED and it does not. The Shuffle icon background stays white. It's like the Music app only does something unless you specifically tell it to accept for keep repeating the same song that's playing.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB running newest ios 11.3.1.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.3.1, pertains to iOS11.3.1

Posted on May 28, 2018 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 12:11 PM

I finally talked with someone else that has an iPhone. They said they had lost the REPEAT button as well. We compared notes and played with it a bit and found out what our disconnect was. There are PLAY and SHUFFLE buttons on the selection screen. Then when you press PLAY or SHUFFLE it begins playing. You then have to pull up the PLAY window and scroll down to find the REPEAT button. It's there it's just not right up front where you'd expect it to be.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Figaro56

I finally talked with someone else that has an iPhone. They said they had lost the REPEAT button as well. We compared notes and played with it a bit and found out what our disconnect was. There are PLAY and SHUFFLE buttons on the selection screen. Then when you press PLAY or SHUFFLE it begins playing. You then have to pull up the PLAY window and scroll down to find the REPEAT button. It's there it's just not right up front where you'd expect it to be.

May 29, 2018 2:35 PM in response to Figaro56

Hello Figaro56,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having issues with your Music app repeating one song. I’m happy to help.

It sounds like you may have repeat enabled. I suggest checking out this article for help:

Play, repeat, and shuffle music - Apple Support

If the issue persists, let us know with some additional details.

Take care.

Jun 1, 2018 8:44 AM in response to Figaro56

Figaro56,

Thanks for replying with more detail. If you have not already, I suggest updating your iOS version to the most current. You can find instructions below:
Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Should the issue still persist, I recommend reinstalling iOS with iTunes. Keep in mind this will keep your data intact, but we do recommend that you back up your data first:
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Next, follow the section titled "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" in the link below:
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support
Although this article is geared towards a different issue, these steps will allow you to reinstall iOS on your device. If both of the above suggestions do not remedy your issue, you’ll want to Contact Apple Support
Take care.

May 29, 2018 9:14 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Not to be rude, but that's almost a tad insulting. You must have repeat turned on, really? I'll try and ignore the comment.

Now listen up. There is NO repeat option as illustrated in the link you provided. There is only PLAY and SHUFFLE options available and repeat is always enabled by default with no way to turn it off. The MUSIC app just keeps repeating any song it plays. I deleted the MUSIC app and re-installing it, but it's still the same. It's screwed up, doesn't work like the documentation says it should. Touch SHUFFLE and the SHUFFLE tab doesn't change it's look. It SHOULD turn to a red background, but it doesn't. Pressing SHUFFLE randomly selects a song like it should, but when that song ends it repeats it. There is no way to enable or disable repeat because there is no repeat option at all in the MUSIC app any more. The two options you have are PLAY and SHUFFLE. The MUSIC app is useless in it's current form. I told SIRI "repeat off" and that worked, but only until you switch to a differt list of songs or a playlist then you need to tell SIRI again "repeat off" because repeat is on by default. Typically when I use the MUSIC app to listen to my MP3 music I'm at a place where I have no internet connection so the SIRI work around isn't going to help.

ios 11.3.1 Music app keeps repeating same song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.