Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My folders have disappeared from Photos.

I've spent dozens of hours organising and categorising photos into folders within the Photos app. All my folders have suddenly disappeared. The photos themselves are still there in the chronological stream.... I just can't find what I'm looking for anymore without trawling through years worth of pictures. Super frustrating - has anyone else had this problem?? It looks like Apple has rearranged how Photos is organised, and my folders are a casualty.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 28, 2018 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 10:32 PM

All my folders have suddenly disappeared.

Do you mean albums? Folders can only hold albums and not photos. Photos can only be added o albums.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad and sync it to your Mac? If you enable iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad, this may cause albums to vanish from the synced devices, when a new device starts syncing with iCloud. In that case, wait if your albums will reappear, once the syncing has finished.

Or your albums are simply hidden. You can toggle the display of your albums on and off in the sidebar. There is a hidden Show/Hide button in the sidebar. Hover the pointer to the right of "Albums" in the sidebar and click "Show", if you are not seeing any albums.

Then click the disclosure triangle to the left of "my Albums".

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 10:32 PM in response to kschrav

All my folders have suddenly disappeared.

Do you mean albums? Folders can only hold albums and not photos. Photos can only be added o albums.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad and sync it to your Mac? If you enable iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad, this may cause albums to vanish from the synced devices, when a new device starts syncing with iCloud. In that case, wait if your albums will reappear, once the syncing has finished.

Or your albums are simply hidden. You can toggle the display of your albums on and off in the sidebar. There is a hidden Show/Hide button in the sidebar. Hover the pointer to the right of "Albums" in the sidebar and click "Show", if you are not seeing any albums.

Then click the disclosure triangle to the left of "my Albums".

User uploaded file

My folders have disappeared from Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.