Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run Mac OS 10.6 from external HDD on new MacBook Pro

Recently I bought a new MacBook Pro because I needed it for work. I also have some software that only runs on Mac OS 10.6 and earlier, and there are no newer versions available. Therefore I installed Mac OS 10.6 on an external HDD, so I could run this from the external drive on my new MacBook, at least I thought. But when I start up my MacBook from this drive, it gets stuck in the startup screen (the one with just the apple logo, but it is the one from OS 10.6). Is there something I can do to make it work, or is it impossible to run this version of OS on new MacBooks, even from an external harddisk? When I start up my old MacBook Pro (mid 2010) from the external drive, it works.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 29, 2018 12:22 AM

5 replies

May 29, 2018 5:35 AM in response to LoesOt

A Mac will not run a version of macOS older than the version it shipped with (in some very rare cases, if a Mac model has not been upgrade from the previous year, it might run the previous macOS version; but never 2 or more version back).

Consider running Mac OS X 10.6.8 server in a virtual machine on the newer Mac (VirtualBox, VMware Fusion, Parallels).

Run Mac OS 10.6 from external HDD on new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.