Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air will not connect to certain WiFi networks

My Macbook Air 13 inch early 2015 will not connect to my work WiFi any more. My iPhone and MBP can connect to it but when I try to connect using my Air I get the error "The Wiu-Fi network <network name> could not be joined". Running diagnostics doesn't work, it just hangs.

I have tried booting in recovery mode and it doesn't work in there either, but this time it tells me the password is incorrect even though it isn't.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.6

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps:

Deleting all saved networks

SMC reset

NVRAM reset

Because this is a work network I have no access to the router, but I know it uses WPA2 PSK and is an 802.11g network. It worked fine until about 3 months ago.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on May 29, 2018 1:33 AM

1 reply

May 29, 2018 3:28 PM in response to Matt The Hatt

Hello Matt,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you cannot connect your MacBook Air to your work Wi-Fi network but your iPhone and your MacBook Pro connect to the same network without issue. Does your MacBook Air connect to other networks outside of your work network?

If not, you may want to run an Apple Diagnostic on your Mac using the steps from the following article as it will tell you if there is a hardware issue preventing the MacBook Air from using Wi-Fi.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

Macbook Air will not connect to certain WiFi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.