Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Yosemite to Sierra ?

I have macbook Pro 13'' mid 2012 version with 4gb ram & 500gb HDD. My use is very basic ( Surfing, Movies, Music, Ms office & Apple's Productivity apps ). Off lately i can't update my email clients or few apps as its ios 10.10.5. Is it a good option for me to upgrade to sierra??

MacBook Pro, iOS 10, Yosemite ( 10.10.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

May 29, 2018 10:46 AM in response to pritesh21 In response to pritesh21

Sierra may be rather sluggish on that laptop, with only 4 GB of RAM and a standard hard drive rather than a solid state drive (SSD). If your MacBook Pro is in good shape, you might want to consider upgrading to 8 GB of RAM and a SSD: your lovely, user-upgradable laptop will feel like a new machine. Both upgrades are fairly easy to do yourself. You can find excellent upgrade guides at OWC (macsales.com).

You should not do any major OS upgrade unless you have a complete backup of your system, preferably a bootable clone of your current system. You can use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive.

The safest way to apply a major OS upgrade is to install it on a drive other than your current system drive. You could upgrade a clone of your system drive to see whether or not the upgrade will be problematic for your existing system.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

May 29, 2018 10:46 AM in response to pritesh21 In response to pritesh21

Sierra may be rather sluggish on that laptop, with only 4 GB of RAM and a standard hard drive rather than a solid state drive (SSD). If your MacBook Pro is in good shape, you might want to consider upgrading to 8 GB of RAM and a SSD: your lovely, user-upgradable laptop will feel like a new machine. Both upgrades are fairly easy to do yourself. You can find excellent upgrade guides at OWC (macsales.com).

You should not do any major OS upgrade unless you have a complete backup of your system, preferably a bootable clone of your current system. You can use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive.

The safest way to apply a major OS upgrade is to install it on a drive other than your current system drive. You could upgrade a clone of your system drive to see whether or not the upgrade will be problematic for your existing system.

May 29, 2018 10:46 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

May 29, 2018 10:57 AM in response to kahjot In response to kahjot

Thank you for your reply.

I m very new to these can you help me out a bit more.

1)

I checked the website link you shared for the ssd and ram upgrades, if i do that both will my battery suffer or would i have to upgrade that too.

2)

can you suggest which ssd should i go for as i feel 500gb would be more than enough for me. There are multiple options in that suggesting HDD with ssd & what rpm of that drive should i get?

3)

Can i upgrade to Sierra now with current configuration and over the time i upgrade my mac with ram & then ssd, is it possible?

May 29, 2018 10:57 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: pritesh21

Question: Yosemite to Sierra ?