Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite to Sierra ?

I have macbook Pro 13'' mid 2012 version with 4gb ram & 500gb HDD. My use is very basic ( Surfing, Movies, Music, Ms office & Apple's Productivity apps ). Off lately i can't update my email clients or few apps as its ios 10.10.5. Is it a good option for me to upgrade to sierra??

MacBook Pro, iOS 10, Yosemite ( 10.10.5)

Posted on May 29, 2018 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 10:46 AM

Sierra may be rather sluggish on that laptop, with only 4 GB of RAM and a standard hard drive rather than a solid state drive (SSD). If your MacBook Pro is in good shape, you might want to consider upgrading to 8 GB of RAM and a SSD: your lovely, user-upgradable laptop will feel like a new machine. Both upgrades are fairly easy to do yourself. You can find excellent upgrade guides at OWC (macsales.com).

You should not do any major OS upgrade unless you have a complete backup of your system, preferably a bootable clone of your current system. You can use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive.

The safest way to apply a major OS upgrade is to install it on a drive other than your current system drive. You could upgrade a clone of your system drive to see whether or not the upgrade will be problematic for your existing system.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 10:46 AM in response to pritesh21

Sierra may be rather sluggish on that laptop, with only 4 GB of RAM and a standard hard drive rather than a solid state drive (SSD). If your MacBook Pro is in good shape, you might want to consider upgrading to 8 GB of RAM and a SSD: your lovely, user-upgradable laptop will feel like a new machine. Both upgrades are fairly easy to do yourself. You can find excellent upgrade guides at OWC (macsales.com).

You should not do any major OS upgrade unless you have a complete backup of your system, preferably a bootable clone of your current system. You can use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive.

The safest way to apply a major OS upgrade is to install it on a drive other than your current system drive. You could upgrade a clone of your system drive to see whether or not the upgrade will be problematic for your existing system.

May 29, 2018 10:57 AM in response to kahjot

Thank you for your reply.

I m very new to these can you help me out a bit more.

1)

I checked the website link you shared for the ssd and ram upgrades, if i do that both will my battery suffer or would i have to upgrade that too.

2)

can you suggest which ssd should i go for as i feel 500gb would be more than enough for me. There are multiple options in that suggesting HDD with ssd & what rpm of that drive should i get?

3)

Can i upgrade to Sierra now with current configuration and over the time i upgrade my mac with ram & then ssd, is it possible?

Yosemite to Sierra ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.