Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini stuck at 'activation error' after factory reset

Anyone experiencing this currently? I checked the apple service status and it's all green. I just can't seem to get my ipad mini 1 activated. I kept saying activation error. I tried with wifi and hotspot and still cannot activate. I even tried itunes for a few hours now and it kept asying "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time."

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on May 29, 2018 4:34 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2018 4:48 PM in response to jbatbatan

Hello jbatbatan,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are encountering an error when activiating your iPad over Wi-Fi and using iTunes. I would be happy to help provide some steps to take next.

Let's start by confirming that you have updated to the latest version of iTunes, which is 12.7.5:

Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support

After that, try to activate your iPad again following the steps here:

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

If you're still encountering an activation error, you may need to try activating the iPad over a different Wi-Fi network, or restore your iPad using iTunes:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Keep us posted with what happens from here. Cheers!

May 29, 2018 5:39 PM in response to jbatbatan

Hi jbatbatan,

Thanks for following up with the additional information. Do you have a Wi-Fi network (not Personal Hotspot) that you could connect the computer with iTunes, or iPad to directly? The reason why I ask is that if the Personal Hotspot from your phone is using a cellular data connection, it may be preventing the iPad from properly reaching the Apple activation servers.

If the error persists when activating over a Wi-Fi network, or you do not have a Wi-Fi network you can connect to, contact Apple using the link below:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care!

Ipad mini stuck at 'activation error' after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.