Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Back up

I use Time Capsule to back up a MacAir and an iMac. It has been in use for 5 1/2 years, so I worry a bit about the age of the TC. 1.56TB of 2.0TB is available. At some point it filled up and I think re-started afresh. How do I know if a full image of each machine is on the TC? Note: I have verified both (verify function in TM) and both reached 100% with no error messages. I am getting ready to start a second Time Machine-based backup on a second USB or Thunderbolt HD. Thanks!

ps...I'm a home user, not a "power user" , my iMac has 356GB remaining of 500GB

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 64bit osx and windows 7

Posted on May 29, 2018 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 7:12 AM

"Verify" checks Time Machine backup files to confirm that they are not corrupted.

If "Verify" finds a problem, then you will see a confusing message that looks like the example below. What the message really says is that the verification process found damaged or corrupted files. When this occurs, Time Machine will erase all of the existing backups for a given Mac and start over again with a new backup and then move forward.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 7:12 AM in response to sofreemac

"Verify" checks Time Machine backup files to confirm that they are not corrupted.

If "Verify" finds a problem, then you will see a confusing message that looks like the example below. What the message really says is that the verification process found damaged or corrupted files. When this occurs, Time Machine will erase all of the existing backups for a given Mac and start over again with a new backup and then move forward.

User uploaded file

May 29, 2018 2:32 PM in response to sofreemac

We have answered the question .. what now??.. with Apple ceasing production of airport series. It is of course the Express and the Time Capsule mostly that will be missed.. both offer unique functions. Express in built in audio and Time Capsule in a built in hard disk.

See

Re: Alternative to Time Capsule on High Sierra?

And a more general post here.

Will Time machine backups, wireless and hard wired, be supported on 3rd party routers?

I see the problem with Time Machine and it is unable to use network targets that Carbon Copy Cloner can use.

Got a Linksys WRT1200AC router just to try out because they are fairly cheap cf the Asus which does support Time Machine. CCC was able to use the drive plugged in USB (or esata) on Linksys. That gives you a relatively cheap option as this model router sells for around $100 here. It is powerful and has almost NAS speeds.

Otherwise a full NAS is recommended. Synology is our recommendation although others do offer Time Machine support. It is expensive solution. You might well consider buying a current Time Capsule before they disappear.

May 29, 2018 6:55 AM in response to sofreemac

How do I know if a full image of each machine is on the TC?

Time Machine always keeps a current complete copy of any Mac that is backing up, in addition to a history of backups that display how your Mac(s) looked in the past.

In other words, as long as you have at least one Time Machine backup of a Mac, you have a complete current backup copy of the Mac.

May 29, 2018 2:02 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I understand the Airport Time Capsule, and any further Time Capsule products, have just been discontinued by Apple. I have actually appreciated the Router *** WiFi *** Backup that my trusty Time Capsule has been for over 5 years. Can you recommend a closely related and perhaps even more effective alternative?

I think this thread could be helpful to others in my similar situation!

May 29, 2018 4:12 PM in response to sofreemac

If you have been happy with the Time Capsule, you might consider purchasing another before the current stock runs out. Both 2TB and 3TB versions are available. Discounts....at least from Apple....are not available which might indicate that the products are still selling briskly.....or.....there may only be a very limited quantity left.

A new Time Caspule should go 4-5 years, maybe more.

Apple will continue to support the product for 7 years from the discontinuation date, which has not yet been announced.

Time Capsule Back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.